Colt Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I would love to know how many times they were used in actual survival situations. Pilots aren't riflemen, so I think the most useful part of the survival guns was the .410 part.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Have always loved the AR-7. My buddy had one in the early eighties, and I had my ruger 10/22. The Ruger out-shot the AR-7, but my Ruger couldn't fold itself into it's stock! The AR-7 felt so "secret agent", and this was before I saw "From Russia, with Love".

Maybe I'll look for an original AR-7 to add to my growing collection of useless things.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would love to know how many times they were used in actual survival situations. Pilots aren't riflemen, so I think the most useful part of the survival guns was the .410 part.
Israel issued a modified version of the original Armalite A7 rifle as a pilots survival rifle. About 20 yrs ago Bricklee Trading Co imported them from Israel. They are scarce and the asking prices reflect that.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I had a few boxes of Winchester .22 Hornet ammunition that was made to be issued along with the military survival rifles. It was in plain brown pasteboard boxes and had a warning printed on it that it was not to be used against enemy personnel. I suppose if I were a downed pilot and was about to get captured or killed like William Holden at the end of The Bridges At Toko-Ri and all I had was my survival rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to plink a few of those commies.

.22 Hornet 5b.JPG
.22 Hornet 5c.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Great little rifle and a decent part of firearms history! I've got one of the newer Henry versions and it's a fantastic shooter. Very reliable and kind of fun.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
The first rifle I wanted was an AR-7, their ads were in all the gun magazines I read growing up. Never got one.

A lot of small 22s make good survival guns. I have a couple of takedown Winchester .22 pumps that probably would work as well as the AR-7. Better, because they'll easily shoot .22 shot or .22 CB caps. Firearms were used for survival from their inception, of course. I like to read survival books, men in the artic, on life rafts, in jungles, in deserts. This is what the ill-fated Jennette artic expedition carried. Those guys got locked in the ice, and after a couple years, decided they had to walk out. Ended up walking hundreds of miles over ice, dragging a small whaleboat. Some made it to Siberia!

12 Remington BL rifles
6 Remington BL revolvers
3 Winchester repeating rifles
4 Remington RB shot guns
2 Remington RB with extra rifle band
10 English BL rifles
10 English ML rifles
6 English self-cocking revolvers

21 - 26 of 26 Posts