Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, here they are. My beloved toys. The pictures are terrible and the cammera that took them is too. I will get another camera. I have been collecting colts for about 4 months now. My pop gave me the python and that got me started. Then I bought the other three from one guy at a fair price. I will be adding my first blue tommorrow(python 6" with black grips and medallions). I will be adding the rare ones to them as soon as I find them. Where do you find them? Pawn shops look at you like your crazy when you ask them if they have or have had any pythons or diamondbacks. Gun shows are ridiculous. Everything there is 50% over what they should cost and local gun shops are very proud of their guns too. Also, I need information on how to store these things. I still have the box and plastic they came in but I don't think you are supposed to keep them in the plastic. Please advise. I have 2 or 3 minor scratches on my python. What can you polish these with and will they polish out? Thanks for anyones help. One last question, is the red sight on the cobra in the pic unusual?
Regards,
Wesley Hardin

[This message has been edited by wildwildwes (edited 07-12-2005).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice very nice . I am a newbie as well and i am glad I found this site. I have read articles that some people use Mother car wax to wax their guns, and I have heard that semichrome works well for minor scratches, Hope this helps. The people here are friendly and helpful Thanks to all
Rob

[This message has been edited by robinwhisman (edited 07-12-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Very nice collection of guns Wes. I like the shiny guns too!

Regarding your question about the red ramp Cobra, I believe this was not from the factory, meaning it was added after the fact. I also have a second issue Cobra like yours in nickel. They came from the factory with a fixed notched rear sight and a plain ramp front sight. The use of the red or orange inserts on Colt revolvers was not prevalent during the production time frame of the second issue Cobra, which ended in 1981.

There are a number of different polishes that will work fine on your shiny guns. Everyone will have their own preference. I like Flitz on nickel as it cleans well and is so very mild of an abrasive. I have used Mothers on bright work on my cars but never on my guns. Some folks will swear by Mothers.

To answer your question where do we find all these Colts? Many folks routinely scour the local gun shops perhaps once a week. Go to every local gun show and a few that are not local. I haven’t had any luck in Pawn Shops so I don’t bother. Check the auction sites for guns you are interested. Sometimes someone you know has some guns to trade or sell.

The guns are out there and all it takes is money once you find them.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Wes.
That clears up a couple questions I had.
Like WS23 states, you will need to look at the web sites to find the stuff you're looking for. You can just find a Colt here or there at pawn shops or gun shops, but normally, you will be looking a very l o n g time before you find any. Yet alone, find something rare and nice. Plan on overspending for most of them unless you have that lucky horseshoe with you at all times.
As someone pointed out, Mothers is good to use on your brightwork. It is a polish, not a wax. It does have abrasives in it and try it sparingly at first. It does wonders on stainless guns, and I've used it on nickel as well.
It's Mothers mag wheel polish. You can usually find it at your local car parts dealer. It comes as a paste.
Good luck out there on the hunt.
4 months and you've built a very nice collection. If this keeps up, you should be broke shortly. That is if you can keep finding more nice horses to fill the stable.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Wes, Nice pictures. If you have done this in 4 months, you are "way ahead" of the game.
I have found and come across most at the local gun shows, not so much what's on the tables,but in talking with people walking around and they may have guns for sale and they are "checking prices,values, availability, etc". Or maybe they "know" some-one who has a gun or two for sale. The prices seen on the tables are NOT usually the "final" selling prices, yes you can deal and YES, there are some guys you can't. Thats' what makes it a "show"; try wheeling and dealing at the store.

Thanks again Wes, and good luck in your 'journey into collecting'.

------------------
Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
god afternoon , i am new to computers and would like to post some pictures of my colts , how do i accomplish this as done above ??
i would greatly appreciate some instructions , thank-you rob

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
nice guns, that cobra has the most highly figured pr. of the wraparound grips i have ever seen. most of those being quit plain.

·
Registered
88 Posts
very nice i like the stocks on the cobra light wood with lots of grian.
ok guys could that red sight be a colt custom shop sight? the stocks look custom shop that wy i was thinking that and my custom shop stocks on my python have a grain like that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not know if the cobra sight is stock. From what I gathered from the seller it is. He said it was NIB with very slight cylinder line. I had the box but did not read the information on it-Dang. Took it back over to my pops house to the safe. Will look soon as I can. Bought a 6" blue python today for 590.00. Supposed to be 97%--we'll see. Got it on Auctionarms--my first auction site purchase. This will be my shooter. Was 2000.00 for a NIB 6" 22 nickel diamondback that I mentioned too much? Thanks for all the compliments guys. I am very proud of them.
Wes Hardin

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Wes Hardin, if you gave $2000 for a 6" nickel .22LR Diamondback, I think you were about $300 high for today, but wait six months to a year and it will look like a bargain. JMHO

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I did not buy one. I saw one at a gun show for 2000.00 and was wondering if that was in line. At the time I thought the guy was nuts until I started reading this forum and found that they were rare. I am looking for one though but would not pay even close to that. I would have trouble paying 1200.00 for one but probably would.
Wes Hardin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts