Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I promised you guys that I would post pics of my pair, and here they are:
The 1917 is on top and the Officer's Model is on the bottom. Sorry for the glare!

By the way, I wanted to ask you guys about ammunition selection. I want to shoot both, but as both are practically unfired, I was wondering what you guys think about shooting hardball ammo in the 1917. Maybe lead would be better, like auto rim, or my hard cast handloads. What about +p .38s in the Officer's Model? I don't want to knock that front sight loose with recoil. I usually use .38/44 equivalents in my Offical Polices. Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by OfficalPoliceRev (edited 10-15-2003).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
O P R

Those guns appear to be everything you said they were and more.....just beautiful!
I will leave the ammo question up to the ammo knowledgeable people

·
Registered
535 Posts
O-o-i-i! They are NICE. If they were MINE, Mr. O.P., I'd shoot TAME stuff and not very often. (Shoot your don't-give-a-hoot .22 and let these old warriors enjoy their twilight!) Wadcutters in the target .38 and nothing hotter than GI in the '17 - but that's just me. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OfficalPoliceRev:
I promised you guys that I would post pics of my pair, and here they are:
The 1917 is on top and the Officer's Model is on the bottom. Sorry for the glare!

By the way, I wanted to ask you guys about ammunition selection. I want to shoot both, but as both are practically unfired, I was wondering what you guys think about shooting hardball ammo in the 1917. Maybe lead would be better, like auto rim, or my hard cast handloads. What about +p .38s in the Officer's Model? I don't want to knock that front sight loose with recoil. I usually use .38/44 equivalents in my Offical Polices. Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by OfficalPoliceRev (edited 10-15-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would shoot lead bullets exclusively in both guns.

Contemporary reports indicated the 1917 with ball ammo was good for about 5,000 rounds before the barrel wear required replacement of the barrel. This is supported by the large purchases of barrels by the Army in the 1920s and 1930s... clearly the 1917s had been shot out. I think given the .38 is similar technology, the above would apply to them as well to a greater or lesser extent.

With lead bullets the barrels should last pretty much forever.

In the .38 148 gr. wadcutters or 158 gr. RN. I would bet the 38 is regulated for the factory 158 gr. LRN load and will shoot exactly to point of aim with that load.

For the 1917, a 230 gr. LRN would also work, and the 200 gr. H&G #68 type LSWC is also a good choice as well.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for your speedy answers to my question! I will follow your advice. I'll be using 158 gr cast LSWC loads (at standard pressure) in the .38 Officers Model, and 230 gr cast LRN (ball equivalent charge)in the 1917. Can't wait to try both!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would definately use lead. If I were loading these I wouldn't even go near max loads. Guns are for shooting in my opinion, I shoot everything I own.

Joed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts