Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the two 1956 Colt Pythons I have asked about in a previous post. One is my deceased brother's competition Python that he switched the 6 inch barrel to a full under barrel lug for added weight and stability for shooting. That one is serial number 1141. The other, in slightly better condition, is all original and serial number 1139. Note the numbered cylinder on the 1141 that my brother used for competition. I have chosen to, at least for now, keep the barrel on my brother's Python the way it is. I have the original 6 inch blued barrel the revolver came with that I'll keep with this gun.

The last picture is to keep with the vintage Colt collectible theme- it is my original 1883 45 Long Colt Single Action Army! Nickel plated and engraved by Hartley and Graham in New York directly from the factory. Shoots wonderfully! I have concluded is was NOT engraved by L. D. Nimschke, although I enjoyed researching it to see if it may have been. A Colt letter says it was sent directly to Hartley and Graham from the factory for engraving.

What a classic trio of Colt firearms!

(I have ten pictures total, so, I'll do another post.)

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
should also note in case you didn't know already that the one your brother used for competition had it's cylinder latch changed also. A post 1980 part. But two fantastic guns. I just bought SN #1217 myself!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Algamear, what did you pay for your recently acquired Python SN: 1217? I found the one 1956 Python above by chance looking on Gun Broker about 3 years after my brother died and I was shocked when I saw the SN of 1139 which was 2 away from my brother's SN:1141. I was able to contact the seller and told him what I had and he sold me his Python, this was about 5 years ago, for $1200. It was definitely a bargain but he knew I had to have it! I know these two were on the bench together at Colt in 1956 when they were hand made.

So, I would be hard pressed to pay too much for SN: 1140 if I was lucky enough to run across it now. I would imagine these would sell for around $5,000 each, now.

Oh, and I have another older cylinder latch, also, so I can change that sometime. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought it off Gunbroker just a few weeks ago from a guy who turned out to be relatively local. The winning bid was $4250. The weapon came complete with its original box and paperwork. I'd argue I got a very good deal because I agree with your estimate of between $5000-$6000 for the gun in that condition. I started a thread titled "new purchase" with more details and pics of my new treasure. I took it to the range last week and boy what a great time that was!

Reactions: jringo8769
1 - 9 of 9 Posts