Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw this and wanted to give all you good holster guys a heads up if you may want it.

I dont know them, i dont have any skin in it, i dont know if its still available. Don't know of they'll ship it. Just saw it listed. Looks nice.

Pretty sure its for a foreign military semi auto, and imported. I forget which. Maybe it would fit a luger or Woodsman

This is a pigskin holster for a small semi automatic pistol. I has the pouches for 2 magazines. I am asking $ 40.00. CALL 412-273-5125

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there ya go. Have at it, if you need it. Thanks CWO. Ive never seen a holster made out of pigskin.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The George Lawrence Co. offered pigskin holsters in what I think they called their Special Agent line.This one was made for the Colt pocket auto.
Regards, turnerriver

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does oinker hold up better than mooo cow longterm, TR??

Break in easier?

Just curious.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You're right, CraigC- they covered saddle leather with pigskin. Like this-
Here's a quick shot of the page in Lawrence catalog number 110 (1967) showing the Special Agent line. I think unoiled and hard wearing were the selling points for these holsters to be worn concealed.
I have two examples of the line and looked for years before finding one. Regards, turnerriver

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
A side note about pigskin,back around 1972 or thereabouts I had a custom saddle made by a saddlemaker named Wallace in Long Beach Ca. He lined the entire inside of the saddle,fenders & bridle, in other words every piece of leather that came in contact w/the horse w/pigskin,the reason being was so the horse's sweat couldn't soak into the leather because it doesn't have pores like leather does,twenty years later I sold the saddle for 3 times what I had paid for it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wow thats pretty weird Jim.Pigs dont sweat?? Ive happened along quite of bit of holsters for sale lately. I dont know much about them, or their worth, but do admire them. Saw a flap style CP Shipley recently for sale and an older complete holster and belt floral style from Hunter, and a Brauer Bros K just to name a few. Plus the pig one above. Found it strange., but apparently its not. Maybe thats why they made this military holster out of oinker. Because it wouldn't soak up water in the field.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Wow thats pretty weird Jim.Pigs dont sweat?? Ive happened along quite of bit of holsters for sale lately. I dont know much about them, or their worth, but do admire them. Saw a flap style CP Shipley recently for sale and an older complete holster and belt floral style from Hunter, and a Brauer Bros K just to name a few. Plus the pig one above. Found it strange., but apparently its not. Maybe thats why they made this military holster out of oinker. Because it wouldn't soak up water in the field.
When Wallace explained about the pigskin he said that was why u always see pigs "wallering" in mud in order to cool down.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hi Craig;

Generally it isn't sturdy enough for holsters but I've used it for many years as a soft inner lining for any holster my clients want for their "special" guns. It's a lot easier on the finish of say a nickel plated gun because the stiffer hard surface of veg tanned cowhide can be a little rough on some finishes.

If you even want to buy any, you can ask for pigskin splits. That'll give you the suede on both sides. Very soft, very flexible and very reasonable in price as well.

Bud

I wouldn't have thought pigskin would be thick enough for a sturdy holster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts