Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie Colt smith here (smith for my own guns). I was examining a newly purchased Trooper Mark V with a borescope and noticed a hole in the barrel with a pin apparently being used to keep the vented rib on. Is this standard on Troopers (that the pin hole would be drilled all the way through into the bore?) The pin itself is slightly recessed and looks to be a factory or very good private job.

Another question is whether there is a good way to get matching cold blue on the Trooper blue finish. There are some small spots I would like to touch up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I don't have the bore scope camera attachment. The hole though is quite obvious and the end of the pin in the hole is slightly recessed and the end of the pin is beveled around the outside edge. You need a bore scope to see this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have the bore scope camera attachment. The hole though is quite obvious and the end of the pin in the hole is slightly recessed and the end of the pin is beveled around the outside edge. You need a bore scope to see this.
Click. I just inspected mine with a bore light and didn't see any hole in mine.
Rocky

·
Registered
645 Posts
<snippet>
Another question is whether there is a good way to get matching cold blue on the Trooper blue finish. There are some small spots I would like to touch up.
Well first off, cold blue formulas don't exactly match Colt Factory blue.
You could try some Tetra blue, but first, the spots will need to be cleaned, and if any of those spots are actually a nick or ding, then things become complicated.
Use a q-tip for cleaning and applying liquid blue, but a word of caution; I'd look for a spot under the grip panels (first) to test the blue, before touching up the outer exterior of the gun.

Some folks here swear by Oxpho-blue, though I've never used that formulation.
Mostly, I use cold bluing for screw and sight blade (front & rear) refinish/touchup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think a bore light is enough to see it, a true bore scope would be needed. Looking down the barrel it will not be visible because it is slightly recessed.

Anyone with a bore scope that has looked down a trooper barrel?

Click. I just inspected mine with a bore light and didn't see any hole mine.
Rocky

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,438 Posts
All modern Colt's with ribbed barrels were machined in one piece. No ribs or lugs were pinned or brazed on.

How a hole got in the barrel is a mystery unless someone drilled it to install a scope mount and went in way too far.
If so, you should be able to see the pin outside the barrel even if they ground and polished it flush.

In any case, if you have an actual hole in the barrel and not a pit in the bore, the gun is NOT safe to shoot.

As for cold blue, no cold blue will come even close to matching the Colt hot salts blue finish, either for color or for durability.
Cold blue is intended for light touch up of minor scratches and worn spots, not large areas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understood about the cold blue -- these are just small spots to touch up, 99% of the original blue is intact.

The pin really has me confounded, as I can't see any evidence form the outside of the gun that it was pinned or drilled post-factory. According to the fellow I purchased it from, he shot it several hundred rounds without issue (he wasn't aware of the pin). Perhaps I'll call Colt and see what they know. I also may be able to jury-rig a camera up to the viewpiece of the borescope so I can show you what I am talking about.

Worst case, are Trooper Mk V replacement barrels available?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,438 Posts
Like all Colt revolver barrels, Mark V barrels are difficult to find at best.
Barrel installation is a job for Colt or a real revolver barrel expert ONLY.

For barrels you could ask if Colt has any, but they have to install it, they won't sell a barrel or other parts.
You can watch Ebay and the gun auctions and hope a usable barrel turns up that doesn't have some hidden problem.
Due to the short production time of the Mark V, barrels are rare.

Gun Parts has only 4" nickel and 8" blue or nickel. In a pinch you could have the nickel stripped from the 4" and have it reblued and installed by Colt.

TROOPER MKV. Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts

Colt Trooper MK-V
Call and ask.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.