Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a collection of 2mm pinfires. Once in a while I'll glue a #9shot European in a blank and pop a hole in a coke can. I always look for them.
fltsfshr

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I never owned one and maybe never even held one, I do realize though they're an untapped collectable for those collecting revolvers of the American Civil War. Many large frame 9mm and 11mm were purchased by the Federal army and issued, yet the prices are a fraction of percussion revolvers issued.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never owned one and maybe never even held one, I do realize though they're an untapped collectable for those collecting revolvers of the American Civil War. Many large frame 9mm and 11mm were purchased by the Federal army and issued, yet the prices are a fraction of percussion revolvers issued.
Yep, the CW usage is where my interest comes from. I recently bought a 9mm SA/DA Belgian made revolver. Needs some repairs as I'm looking to shoot it. Planning to make the brass and a sizing die myself and reload the cartridges.

I was wondering if any other members shot/reloaded for these pinfire revolvers.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have a book somewhere with a list of who was issued what weapons as of January 1863. I do believe there's a section for pinfire revolvers. I'll take a look and report the list when I dig it out.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The book was no problem to find, as I though these revolvers were issued to western regiments fighting for the North.

Dakota Territory Cavalry

5th. Ill.

2nd. Kansas

5th. Kansas

6th. KY.

8th. MO.

9th. MO.

1st. WI.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yep, the CW usage is where my interest comes from. I recently bought a 9mm SA/DA Belgian made revolver. Needs some repairs as I'm looking to shoot it. Planning to make the brass and a sizing die myself and reload the cartridges.

I was wondering if any other members shot/reloaded for these pinfire revolvers.
Just curious. In reloading these pinfire cartridges, what kind of primer system is used? I guess the pin crushes something like fulminate against an anvil, all located inside the head of the cartridge.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious. In reloading these pinfire cartridges, what kind of primer system is used? I guess the pin crushes something like fulminate against an anvil, all located inside the head of the cartridge.
Percussion cap, inverted. The pin hits the explosive on the inside. The cap is held in place by the pin. The cap can be set on the bottom of the case or a special recess or ring inside the case. Special (smaller) percussion caps where used for the pinfire cartridges.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts