Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\'Pinging\'

There is a 'pinging' sound from the bolt on my Three-Fifty-Seven. It makes the sound when it contacts the cylinder during rotation and again when the trigger is returning. Is this indicative of a problem or any indication that a problem is imminent? Any advice or assistance would be appreciated. CC

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,703 Posts
Re: \'Pinging\'

Some Colt's do this.
I've heard some people claim this is a sign of a perfectly adjusted action, and a few people claim it's a sign of something wrong.

In fact, my experience is, the "Ringing Colt" is generally found in Colt's made in the 50's, and it has no relation to the gun being in tune or out.

I've never really sat down and tried to ID just what caused some Colt's to ring and most not but it isn't a sign of problems, nor of a perfect action.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you Sir!
Had no idea what would cause it as gun functions perfectly. I once had a S&W Model 66 which did the ringing when the hammer hit dry firing. It did it only with the wood grips, not with rubber. I replaced the mainspring and Bingo!, cured. In this case I didn't know if it meant the spring was about to go, too strong, bolt loose, etc. My other E/I frame Colts didn't do it, even the 1956 OP. I love the gun and am glad it is an idiosyncrasy of certain Colts. Too bad it doesn't increase the value since it is a 'musical' Colt. Bet there aren't too many of those. Thanks again and have a great day. Ben

·
Registered
111 Posts

Perhaps there are more "singing" 357's out there than you think! My 1957 vintage Colt 357 also has the distinctive "ring" sound to the action. Too bad it doesn't make me a better shot because it is a tack driver almost as accurate as my 8" Python Target.

Scott

·
Registered
97 Posts

I just bought a 2003 S.S. 4" Python Elite. When I bought it the man that I got it from pointed out that it "pinged" rather than "clunked" like my older 1983 Python does. He and I thought that it may be due to a difference between Stainless Steel -vs- the steel in the older Blued gun. I sent it back to Colt to have a timing and Cylinder "Star" problem repaired and when I got it back the "Ping" was gone, replaced by a nice solid "Clunk" like I'm used to. I am now a happy "Clunker".
BTW, Colt did excellent for me on these problems, first class.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts