Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tell me how this is usually done? I inquired at some gunsmiths before, and they declined to do it because of liability issues. If it is a simple enough operation I may be able to do it myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had that idea too. I'll look into it since you said it worked ok for you. Thanks

I actually want to keep it out. When I had a high ride installed, the smith didn't take off enough metal on the side of the frame and it's somewhat uncomfortable to shoot full power 10mms thru it. I sawed off the nub inside already.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
I used to weld or even soft solder a small piece of metal onto the top of the mainspring housing, just thick enough to hold the grip safety in.

I recently read of somebody who's using a short length of music wire or a drill shank.
He just drops it on top of the mainspring housing as the housing is slid up into place.

Again, the piece of wire presses the grip safety forward.

In either method, all that's necessary is that the metal or wire hold the grip safety fully disengaged, AND allows full clearance of the hammer strut.

In the old permanent method, the frame and grip safety was drilled through, and a pin was inserted.

I didn't like this, because of the difficulty, and it altered the frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts