Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Colt did make some of these. Bet this one is original. I think forum member Wyatt Burp has one. Price seems good enough. Great caliber. Can always have the cylinder blued if you decided you don't like it. Not a lot of downside with condition and price like that. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
It is an original factory configuration produced in limited numbers.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have one. I believe there were 485 made.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
A guy is selling one on G.B. and wrote a rundown of the Model number meaning pertaining to features. Model P1750AA.
"P" means SA frame
"1" means standard SAA frame
"7" means .44 Special
"5" indicates a 5 1/2" barrel
"O' is blue and casehardened finish
"AA" is nickel cylinder and black eagle stocks.
I always understood production to be 483. Colt were dumping the SAA in the early 80's and the nickel ones went first. But they had a bunch of nickel cylinders left over and put those in the blued guns. All were 5 1/2" barrel just like yours, and mine. Th one pictured here has matching serial number on the cylinder. I think I heard some were blank but could be wrong. They don't command a noticable value hike "yet" because I think people just think they look too weird. But i like them.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
BTW. That is a fantastic price! Mine was $950 used, but doesn't have as nice case colors as yours, even with your phone picture. I have a 4 3/4" barrel Hoppalong here gave me that needs to be remarked. Someone started to remove the caliber markings for some reason. I've thought about having it redone with ".44 Russian and Special" and put on my .44 but worry about messing with a 1 of 483 guns. Even if they aren't appreciated yet.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Should you decide to pass on that Pinto, let me know. I love .44 Colt's.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Should you decide to pass on that Pinto, let me know. I love .44 Colt's.
Go on gunfightergulch.com to the photo gallery,look @ Jim Martin's guns,you'll see part of my collection,almost all of them r either.44 spcl of .44/40,I only have 5 or 6 .45's-the site hasn't been updated for several years & I've added considerably to my collection since then,as I write this I have 2 more .44 spcls on the way w/octagon bbls. 1 is a 10" buntline the other is a 4 3/4 & a 3rd one also .44 spcl. 4 3/4 w/a normal bbl. they should be here this week then all I have to do is put them together,the only thing that has been done to them is the bbl's r screwed into the frame,I do the rest of the assembly.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Alienbogey

At that price, that condition, that caliber, I'd grab it.
If the color of the cylinder bothered me, at a later date, I'd change it with a blue one & KEEP the nickle one. I'd probably contact Colt AFTER I had the bill of sale & find out just how & to whom it left the factory.
Have you gotten it yet?
Frank

·
Registered
797 Posts
Here's mine. Never got around to getting any 44 special dies so it remains unfired by me. Oh well can't shoot them all :)

And with the serial number on the face of the cylinder.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm back in town and the LGS is closed on Sundays. I'll go look at it again tomorrow, and if it's still there I'll likely grab it.

Questions:

1. Are all the pinto's in 44 Special? For shooting purposes I'd actually prefer 45 Colt.

2. Do they normally letter as blued with nickel cylinder?

3. Is the serial number in the correct range for it to be factory, and is there anything else I can look for to try to verify that it left the factory that way? The LGS claimed to know nothing about it.

Now I'm starting to worry that it won't be there when I go back.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I believe they were all 44 special, all came with a 5 1/2 barrel. They will letter blued, case colors with nickel cylinder as that's how they were produced. Look to see if the partial serial number is on the face of the cylinder as that is a dead give away that it's correct. You can see that in my previous post photo. Good hunting.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I believe they were all 44 special, all came with a 5 1/2 barrel. They will letter blued, case colors with nickel cylinder as that's how they were produced. Look to see if the partial serial number is on the face of the cylinder as that is a dead give away that it's correct. You can see that in my previous post photo. Good hunting.
i'd follow this advise DW says right here. Check that serial number on the cylinder then make your decision. I won't take the responsibility to say the gun is what I previously described, but I personally believe that you are looking at the gun DuWhat and I own, so take it frome there. Worst case is you are getting a colt SAA.44 Special for $950. That's a great price for what i think is an eventually sleeper colector Colt SAA. But it might take a real long time for people to appreciate that.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'm a 44 special lover as well and would love to have one. The quest continues..

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Alienbogey

Both the .45 Colt & .44 Special are good cartridges.
If you handload the .44 Special comes into it's own. In the SAA it can be loaded a bit beyond normal factory cartridges, not counting Buffalo Bore, & Double Tap offerings. The SAA is a bit stronger in .44 Special than the same gun in .45 Colt.
Either would make a great shooter, at that price, I'm pretty sure I'd grab it if I could afford it. If not, I'd ask about a lay-away.
Frank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts