Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a nice 3-5-7 that is going to need a good cleaning when I get to pick it up next week. Looks like it was put away for a long time with rounds in the chamber judging by the green deposits along the star and cylinder. The extractor is tight and the cylinder, although not gritty, doesn't rotate freely. Action seems stiffer than it should be as well. I've taken apart my Official Police before so I'm not afraid to carefully remove the side plate and clean it up without taking it apart further. This sounds strange, but even though there are some commercial gun degreaser sprays, someone told me he uses carb. cleaner to get old hardened oil and grease out. Any recommendations on what to and what NOT to do?
UPDATED 11-25-13
Somehow I deleted all but one BEFORE picture by accident, but here she is...
First one is Before the rest are after

Attachments

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Carb or brake cleaner works great and doesn't hurt the bluing or nickel. On guns that are gunked up and sat up for a long time, I soak them for a couple of days in a plastic container with diesel sloshing it around from time to time. Diesel is a good solvent and has lubricating properties as well. After a few days, I blow out the excess diesel with my compressor and give it a good wipe down. This was shown to us by the Police Academy firearms instructor back in the 80's. Works awesome. Some people like to use varsol type parts cleaner.

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
160 Posts
Sea Foam or G.M Top engine treatment really is good at taking care of carbonized sludge.
Of course Diesel is a little less pricey.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ratpacker, I used to use the GM top engine treatment, but they stopped having it. Said EPA problem. Is it still available where you are. The best carbon cleaner I have ever seen. Spray on wipe off. It will eat plastic though.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Be sure to post some before and after pics. I would love to add a .357 to my collection, but I haven't seen one in about a year and it was going for $650 at the time. I almost jumped on it, but was wanting to save my money for a python first.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be sure to post some before and after pics. I would love to add a .357 to my collection, but I haven't seen one in about a year and it was going for $650 at the time. I almost jumped on it, but was wanting to save my money for a python first.
Will do. Here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia we have to jump on any opportunity to purchase "Off Roster" pieces we want to add to the collection.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I recently purchased a nice 3-5-7 that is going to need a good cleaning when I get to pick it up next week. Looks like it was put away for a long time with rounds in the chamber judging by the green deposits along the star and cylinder. The extractor is tight and the cylinder, although not gritty, doesn't rotate freely. Action seems stiffer than it should be as well. I've taken apart my Official Police before so I'm not afraid to carefully remove the side plate and clean it up without taking it apart further. This sounds strange, but even though there are some commercial gun degreaser sprays, someone told me he uses carb. cleaner to get old hardened oil and grease out. Any recommendations on what to and what NOT to do?
UPDATED 11-25-13
Somehow I deleted all but one BEFORE picture by accident, but here she is...
First one is Before the rest are after
nice colt 3-5-7. what year is it from? mine is from 1957.

·
Administrator
7,437 Posts
Hoppes #9 and a stiff nylon gun tooth brush have always worked for me when cleaning dried grease or oil that has turned to "varnish" .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really nice. Did you end up using the diesel bath?
Actually no. When it came down to it, I thought I'd try #9 first as it smells a whole lot better than diesel plus I had a large bottle of it already:D
The cylinder is no longer tight and the action is great. Hopefully I'll get a range day in real soon.

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
160 Posts
Ratpacker, I used to use the GM top engine treatment, but they stopped having it. Said EPA problem. Is it still available where you are. The best carbon cleaner I have ever seen. Spray on wipe off. It will eat plastic though.
E-BAY ...says it has 15 available at around $15 bucks for a pint (16 oz.) Sea foam.........= 9 bucks a pint at "Wal-Mart."
I'm RUNNIN' OUT OF MY OLD FORMULA "G.M." )fast

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.