Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a '68, 4" blued Python over the weekend. It has the serifed type for Colt on the right side of the barrel. Serial number on frame, crane and side plate match and it is for 1968 manufacture. It has rubber Pachmayr grips (has Colt on the inside of the grips and "Presentation" on the bottom of the grips, from a previous owner. It also has nickle plated hammer and trigger. My '77, 6" does not have plated hammer or trigger. Did a previous owner possibly add the plated pieces or did Colt offer that at the time?
Thanks,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
'68 Python, not "60", sorry.

Pressed submit before proofing the title. Sorry. It's a '68 not a '60.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seametric: Hmmmmm??? Good question. I'll pull the side plate again to look. Will have to wait a week or so though; traveling.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
A blue colt didn't come with silver trigger or hammer. The sides of the hammer are polished but the edges or rib or what ever you want to call it, is blue. Also the grips at that time should be wood not rubber of any brand. That didn't come into effect till around 1980 on selected models.

Reactions: Hoggar

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KMKCOLT: I suspect the previous owner added the rubber grips. The original grips are MIA. I have the original grips from my 6" Python and can put those on but the 4" is for my wife (no, I didn't want to share my Python). She likes the rubber grips so we're okay with that for now. It has a good Python trigger but I may get a trigger job on it for her. I sent her DS in last year and she liked the results; even though it took over six months to get it back.
I'll take a closer look when I get back home (traveling for work this week) but the whole trigger and hammer looked plated. I'll pull the side plate again and look at all sides of each piece.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Just because the parts are plated that doesn't make it necessarily bad. It may smoothen out the action. I am just answering your question to it's originality to the gun. Just out of curiosity I assume you sent the other revolver to Colt for a trigger job what would something like cost? If you don't mind the question.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KMK: I looked for the receipt but didn't find it. If my memory serves me correctly the actual trigger job work was very reasonable and only around $65. Shipping each way was in the $30 range. The trigger job made the double action smoother and the single action a nice clean let off. She also has a '68 DS that has a glass smooth trigger. She likes the snubbies for CCW and backyard target shooting.
My question was about the origin of the gun and I appreciate your info. I like to keep guns as original as possible so not having the original grips was a disappointment but my wife likes the rubber grips so it's a win. The history and some tinkering is part of the enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
I'll pull the side plate again to look.
What does the side plate have to do with the finish on the hammer and trigger?

A blue Python should have blue trigger and hammer. A nickel Python should have a nickel hammer and trigger. (I do not know what nickle Pythons have.:rolleyes:)

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Picked up a '68, 4" blued Python over the weekend. It has the serifed type for Colt on the right side of the barrel. Serial number on frame, crane and side plate match and it is for 1968 manufacture. It has rubber Pachmayr grips (has Colt on the inside of the grips and "Presentation" on the bottom of the grips, from a previous owner. It also has nickle plated hammer and trigger. My '77, 6" does not have plated hammer or trigger. Did a previous owner possibly add the plated pieces or did Colt offer that at the time?
Thanks,
It's nickel not nickle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Judge: when I pull the side plate I can see the whole trigger and hammer pieces. Nickel plating would cover the whole piece where as polishing might miss some parts that would still be blued. Mafd2, cool badge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I All so have a 1968 Python with nickel trigger and hammer. I posted to see if anyone had known of a factory option. Everyone stated that it must be an add on. The original owner stated that it was not modified. Mine is original or the gun shop had it modified before the first sale. I am tempted to letter it to find out. Now that I know of two, I might just invest the money to find out.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/foxtailracing/image_zpsa110981f.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Foxtail: I'll post a photo when I'm back near the gun (traveling this week) but mine looks the same as yours except for the grips. Very interesting... maybe it was an option.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Foxtail: I'll post a photo when I'm back near the gun (traveling this week) but mine looks the same as yours except for the grips. Very interesting... maybe it was an option.
Hey Chuter! I'm waiting to see the pic. Anyone else have a blue python with nickel hammer and trigger?

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Colt didn't offer nickel plated or total bright polish hammers and triggers as an option.
Colt did offer special order, custom work on their guns and it's possible they would have done nickel or polished parts as a custom job.

Polished or nickel parts are almost always something an owner did or had done to customize his gun. You see this a lot on guns that had after market trigger jobs done.

This is one of those shady areas where you will probably never know.
If the gun was ordered from Colt with polished or nickel parts, that would be listed in a Colt Archive letter.
However, if the gun was bought, then shipped back to Colt for the work, Colt will have no record of that.

The most likely situation is that an owner had the gun customized with bright polish or nickel parts after market and an Archive letter would list the gun as a standard production Python.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the feedback dfariswheel. Mine is a shooter that I picked up for very little. It has holster wear as it was a LEO gun. I'm debating if I should have it done in nickel. I love shinny guns. It will stay in the family so loss of value is not an issue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Sorry for the delay in posting the image. I shot it over the weekend and was cleaning it so I snapped this quick photo of the plated/shiny trigger and hammer. There appears to be corrosion on the hammer, possibly from the thumb of the previous owner, but other than that it's in fantastic condition. It shoots like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a blue 2" Colt Lawman MKIII that has nickel hammer and trigger exactly like yours. I wondered the same thing but I'm ok with it because it looks good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts