Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please advise regarding Dillon 148 gr HBWC. I have a chance to trade some primers for 500 of these but will have to drive to meet up. These are soft swaged bullets, right (not hard cast). Anyone know what the hardness is on these particular bullets?

Also please advise on use in a 1920 2nd Issue Officer's revolver. I understand the groove diameter is a tight 0.354-0.355 and chamber is 0.359 on these revolvers. These bullets are 0.357 diameter. (not 0.358).

Get these or hold out for Speer or Hornady 0.358 HBWC's?

Thanks in advance,

Les

·
Registered
830 Posts
You couldn't find a better bullet for accuracy. Just don't load them too how as the skirt can seperate in the bore.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
If they are swaged, I'm pretty sure they are softer than regular cast bullets.
Keep the velocity in the 800-825fps range and you shouldn't have any blown skirt issues. It is kind of fun to fire 6 rounds and have 12 holes in the target, although the group is a might larger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to shoot at around 700 fps with bullets that end up oversize for the tight Colt barrel. So definitely need very soft bullets. Question is if these are soft or not. Label says Hard Cast and box is stamped swaged. Wondered if anyone actually knew the hardness before I drive to meet up. Can't seem to find info on the Dillon Bullets. Someone elsewhere said he believed they appeared to be re-boxed Zero brand.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The “hardcast” is confusing since they didn’t list the Bhn and being swaged further adds to the confusion as to how hard are they. The lube is crap as well it’s colored paraffin wax might be worth putting a coat of Alox on them to keep them from leading your bore.
If you can easily scratch them with your finger nail their fairly soft or use a pencil to see if they will scratch. Any chance you could call them and ask how hard are they.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Make the trade. These bullets look great & will give good service. The classic load is 2.7 - 2.8 grains of Bullseye powder. You don’t have to seat them flush either, I would leave them 1/8” to 1/4” out of the case.
if you don’t have Bullseye, you can substitute 3.1 grains of WW231, 2.8 grains of RedDot, 2.8 grains of 700X, or even 2.8 grains of WW WST. These recipes are for target. Avoid hot-rodding them...

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Thats a great idea. I've been overlooking the obvious just because they didnt list those bullets on their site.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As you already discovered, Dillon does not manufacture bullets. They repackaged this product for sale and I also believe they are Zero brand. The Zero brand is a very well known bullet in the precision shooting game. I've loaded many thousands of them with 2.7 grains of Bullseye powder with the bullet seated flush with the case mouth and a slight role crimp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As you already discovered, Dillon does not manufacture bullets. They repackaged this product for sale and I also believe they are Zero brand. The Zero brand is a very well known bullet in the precision shooting game. I've loaded many thousands of them with 2.7 grains of Bullseye powder with the bullet seated flush with the case mouth and a slight role crimp.
Thanks, any comments on using in the tighter groove diam early Colts?

I already have a rotor in my Li'l Dandy Powder measure that delivers 2.8g of BE. I shot up some 148Gr DEWC I had that were BHN12 and wasn't particularly impressed. Looking to improve going to the standard HBWC bullet with the old standard target load of BE. I want the nice very soft swaged bullets in hopes they reduce in size more easily and enter/go through the tight barrel in a better manner. I just think my Officers with 7.5" barrel should shoot better than 3" groups at 50' from a rest. Maybe it's me and how I am resting the revolver.

I have a 357 Magnum for hotter loads, and just want to shoot targets with squirrel fart loads from the old Colt (which just came back from Frank Glenn getting a new barrel put on). The forcing cone is cut new and he didn't see anything other needing repairs. I am doing slight taper crimping with my RCBS die set - flush with end of case mouth.

Maybe it's me and how I am resting the revolver. Anyways a trade for these bullets came up and I'm almost out of DEWC anyways.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just called Dillon Technical support. Not sure if he really knows which bullets I am talking about. May be talking about some of the cast bullets that they sell. Said these were 16-18 BHN cast bullets. He named the supposed maker - I couldn't understand him but it wasn't Zero. When I asked about the swaged stamp, he said the bullets were then swaged after casting. Didn't know there was such a process - or why someone would cast a HBWC in hard 16-18 BHN lead and then swage it for what reason? Seems like the hardness would defeat the hbwc design. Didn't argue, just thanked him and got off the phone.

I'm going to go ahead and trade for them. I have a set of drawing pencils I can use to test the hardness with when I get them home. If they aren't what I expect, I'm sure I can sell the bullets pretty easily to someone who doesn't care in these times. Seller did say that he could make a mark with his fingernail on them (when I asked), so assume they are not 16-18 BHN.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts