Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I believe it to be a Model 1895 Colt DA, Civilian New Army Version. The Rampant Colt in the stocks make it an Army, as opposed to Navy. The 324 is an assembly number. The serial number is on the butt frame.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I believe it to be a Model 1895 Colt DA, Civilian New Army Version..... The 324 is an assembly number. The serial number is on the butt frame.
Indeed. In contrast to the military editions, on the civilian models the assembly numbers were not related to the serial number. On most of the military ones, they used the last three digits of the serial as the assembly number.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Indeed. In contrast to the military editions, on the civilian models the assembly numbers were not related to the serial number. On most of the military ones, they used the last three digits of the serial as the assembly number.
That's interesting, I always assumed, without knowing, that the assembly numbers were used because a serial number had not yet been issued. Also assuming that the SN was issued at final assembly/inspection after the parts had all made it down the line together. If you could explain, to a simpleton (me), how the assembly number process worked, I would like to learn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts