Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help identify the revolver my father is holding in this 1920's photograph. The under barrel ejector pivot lug suggests a S&W with target stocks, but I can't see the cylinder release very well to confirm. I was told that is was a Colt...wish I had the revolver with me to know for sure-wish I had my father with me as well. Thanks.

1920.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you LeverActionBill for confirming my estimation of make. Since it was nickle plated, my guess is that is was a civilian variant of the original Model 1917.45 ACP military chambering as thus makes it a .44 Hand Ejector model.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
A S&W Nickel plated Victory model.
Ooops. No it would be a 1917 model.
Since the picture was taken in the 1920s, that rules out the "Victory Model." The barrel is too short to be an unaltered 1917, and since a child is holding it, it appears to be too small as well.

It is definitely a Smith & Wesson, and the cylinder flute arrangement indicates a 6 shot revolver.

The front end of the ejector rod lug begins directly under the back end of the front sight base; this combined with the relative size makes me think a 3 1/4 inch barrel. on a .32 Hand Ejector.

SMITH-and-WESSON-MODEL-HAND-EJECTOR-32-LONG-DOUBLE-SINGLE-ACTION-REVOLVER_100802818_24163_487510.jpg

As far as the grips, i think they are likely these, shown on a .32 Hand Ejector with a longer barrel:

wm_11384182.jpg

Another possibility is a .32 Regulation Police with a 3 1/4 inch barrel:

736a668bf32f79ade8668fd804215a52.jpg

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Concur w/billy. I believe it's a .32 M&P in .32 S&W long. Take a close look at the ammo in the belt.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
S&W M&P, probably 38 Special. It later became the Model 10.

The M&P of the time period could be had with either square or round butt.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The size may be fooling me but my vote is a 2nd model .44 special. Quite rare in 4"" nickle. If not the N frame it might be a early M&P 38 special.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The size may be fooling me but my vote is a 2nd model .44 special. Quite rare in 4"" nickle. If not the N frame it might be a early M&P 38 special. That rig looks to have been worn by a deputy or cop. I have far more smiths than colts. First came the Triplelock in 44 special with the closed ejector rod housing. Than the 2nd model with no ejector rod housing (fairly rare) then they went back to the ejector rod housing on all the N frames. Determining the size N frame or K frame is the key but its hard to say with the proportion because of the small boy. Still think N frame.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
S&W M&P, probably 38 Special. It later became the Model 10.

The M&P of the time period could be had with either square or round butt.
Right. It looks like a 4" round butt M&P Smith. At first it looked shorter to me. And if it was a modified 1917, then the belt would be wrong because of the rimmed cartridges. but the belt & holster look correct as the holster looks to be as short as the gun. Great picture and a fine gun, whatever it is.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The front sight base and the ejector rod lug on a 4" M&P don't line up like they do on the revolver in the picture. I still think it's a 3 1/4 inch barrel, and if not a .32 Hand Ejector with target grips, then a .32 Regulation Police. I've updated post #5 with another photo for comparison.

The more I think about it, I'm leaning toward it being the Regulation Police.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
They don't line up like that on a 4" M&P Barrel

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I don't have the foggiest what model of Smith & Wesson that is, but it sure is a great picture. I'd like to think behind that little arm is a big smile. Congrats on having a splendid picture of your dad.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
My old M&P 4" with stag grips is on the top right. It looks purty dang close to me. The upper left is a 3" model 36 but has a different front sight profile. Perhaps it could be a very early one.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
They don't line up like that on a 4" M&P Barrel
No they don't

I think this is a .32 Hand Ejector. It looks big because he is a little tiny kid. This gun is not very big but in his little hands creates the illusion of a bigger revolver
And as up196 said it probably has those bigger grips on it. The other possibility is that .32 regulation police with the 3 1/2" barrel but I feel like that one would look bigger in his hands. But it's a little hard to tell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts