Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's friend gave me a revolver for Christmas. I'm not Colt-literate, and I don't have a clue what this thing is. Please help.

Old gun, rust pitted, and if it was ever blued, I can't see any of it remaining. The finish almost looks like it was stainless. I'm guessing .38 caliber (haven't tried putting a guage on the cylinders or the bore yet). Six-inch tapered barrel, no ejector shroud. Fixed sights, front blade is almost a perfect half-circle, rear sight is a groove milled in the top of the topstrap. Black checkered bakelite/plastic grips. On the left side of the barrel, just above the ejector rod is stamped "COLT D A 41". On the top of the barrel, just as it comes out of the frame, is stamped
COLT'S PT F A MFG CO. HARTFORD ST U S A
PATENDED AUG 5 1884 NOV 6 88 MAR 5 95
On the frame, under the cylinder crane there is a B on one line, 934 on another line, and an N at the bottom. 934 is stamped on the crane and the cylinder release latch. Finally, a fluted cylinder, which turns out (counter-clockwise!) when viewed from the rear.

Thanks, and any help is appreciated.

- JimmyQ

[This message has been edited by JimmyQ (edited 12-27-2003).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Majic,

Thanks! After doing a bit of reading on the web site that you pointed me to, I believe I have a New Army in .38 Colt. I have to do
more digging to find out date of manufacture, but based on what I've read so far, I'm guessing sometime between 1895 and 1901.

Also, thanks for the "welcome". I've been lurking here for six months or so, just never registered. The activity level has picked up a bit here lately, which is encouraging.

- Jim

·
Registered
574 Posts
Jim: Welcome to the Forum. You will find it an informative place for guys who like guns with ponies on them. I think you are correct about the activity level. My perception is that this site has finally found its footing and is now the best place on the web for discussion of Colt Double Action Revolvers. (There are other better established places for the autos and Single Actions, but nothing I have found beats this place for DA talk.) Stick around and enjoy. Charlie Flick

·
Registered
162 Posts
JQ

If it says DA 41 on the barrel I doubt that it is 38. Usually that is where the caliber is marked.

------------------
Fore Warned is Fore Armed... Pogo
Unless it's four worned out guns... Albert

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
JQ

You haven't told us yet, but if you suspect it is a New Army between 1895 and 1901, it should have serial number between 15100 and 148000 on it. I also suspect that it is .41 caliber either Short or Long.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your revolver sounds like a Colt Army Special, which is the precursor to the Official Police. The Army Special has a weak lock up, and goes out of time very easily. You'll see two rows of lock notches in your cylinder. Caliber is .41 Long Colt, as denoted by "Colt DA .41" on your barrel. I saw one of these with a 4" barrel in like new condition, but passed on it because it's very hard to get ammo. Cases are available from Starline to roll your own, but loaded ammo is not, as far as I know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts