Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, I've always wanted a Colt Lawman snub with shrouded barrel, in nickel plate, but until such a time as funds allow, I'm going to have to live vicariously through you all out there in Colt Land who do own or have owned Lawman snubs. Tell me some bedtime stories of what a magnificent gun it is please!! ;)
I almost bought a blued version a few years back but upon close examination I noticed the barrel was canted so I walked away, then I passed up a nice blued version because I just didn't have the funds and the guy only wanted $500 bucks just two short years ago, probably for the best because I would be happier with a nickel plated version.

Has anyone ever measured muzzle velocities out of these snub beasts, using a chronograph? I know you lose much velocity using a 2 incher but it's a nice little (big) revolver, and one day... one day... :)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You know, I've always wanted a Colt Lawman snub with shrouded barrel, in nickel plate, but until such a time as funds allow, I'm going to have to live vicariously through you all out there in Colt Land who do own or have owned Lawman snubs. Tell me some bedtime stories of what a magnificent gun it is please!! ;)
I almost bought a blued version a few years back but upon close examination I noticed the barrel was canted so I walked away, then I passed up a nice blued version because I just didn't have the funds and the guy only wanted $500 bucks just two short years ago, probably for the best because I would be happier with a nickel plated version.

Has anyone ever measured muzzle velocities out of these snub beasts, using a chronograph? I know you lose much velocity using a 2 incher but it's a nice little (big) revolver, and one day... one day... :)
like bubba said " I feel your pain".:p

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mister,

I bought a 2" Nickel Lawman a month or so ago. I would say it is about 95%, with the only nickel issue being the part of the inside frame, below the forcing cone missing a little. I gave 750 for it at my LGS that never has Colts. It had the box and most papers. It is the gun that brought me to this great forum. I did install the Wolff reduced return and main spring. The double action on it was pretty stiff. Smooth, but stiff. Single action almost scares me ;^)

As to velocities, I do not have much factory here, as I am a handloader. Factory Remington 158 +P's clock at 796 fps. 158 Grain hydra shocks measure 1078 fps. 4.0 grains of Tightgroup with 158 grain plated flat points yields about 740 fps. If you have a reloading manual, you can probably look up the TG load and compare to a longer barrel.

I am a Colt 1911 fan, but have a bug for an Anaconda in 45 Colt for hunting. I figured I had missed the budget boat, looking at current prices. I want a shooter, not a safe queen, and 2500 is out of my range. I stewed on this 357 for about a week, before buying it. My first real 357, but I am really liking it. It's going to be a dandy ranch gun, where we do have critters and sometimes tresspassers. Not down south on the border wild west types, but most times just having a gun punctuates the request to leave. And as we are always doing chores, it's nice to have a carry gun that is out of the way when wielding a shovel or chainsaw, or hoisting logs. The abbreviated barrel sure makes in and out of the Jeep kinda nice. Not chasing brass in the snow this winter is going to make for a bit more fun plinking. And buying bullets for reloading is a pleasant surprise for this 45 Caliber guy ;^)

Aftermarket grips are pretty much a no go, but if you find one with the original wood, you can find pach's for it. I picked up a set that was brand new with Colt emblems for 30 bucks. As to leather, S&W L frame holsters work pretty well although if you go thumbsnap, you might have to relocate the snap on the strap. That was a 5 minute job for me. Any leather shop can knock that one out, easy.

I hope my rambling is what you wanted to hear. A new to the caliber and gun user, who is really liking it. Also my first Nickel gun. While I have a lot of nice SS guns, this one is especially fun to handle and admire. Considering that the prices for these are not a great deal over a new revolver, not a bad way to get your feet wet.

Craig

·
Registered
168 Posts
OP - Keep looking. I found a shooter grade one in Electroless Nickel last year for $325. It has some wear marks from lots of holster carry, but the action is like new. It came with the original Pachmayrs on it, but I changed them out for some earlier service stocks and a T-Grip:

Sorry for the blurry picture - I shoot cameras almost as well as I shoot guns...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yep, that's what I wanted to read Craig! I don't have a Colt Lawman, but I do have a Colt, a Government Model .45, I left some photos on a post here some months back, and it is in electroless nickel, Clang! Neat finish, ain't it Clang? Craig, thanks for including some velocities, there is always much debate about speed out of a snub barrel and I like to read real world measurements by somebody who saw with his own two eyes what types of velocities he was obtaining. I have a few snubs by a manufacturer that should probably go unmentioned on this here site, so I won't, I'll only say they have teeny tiny little barrels, one and seven eighths inches, and I've read that some people were getting healthy velocities of right around what you got for 158 gr loads, full power magnums.

I was hoping it would be likewise or better with the snub Lawman, they sure are neat little big guns, as you both know. I also know because I got to fondle one extensively at a local shop, which is why I found out the barrel was crooked, and why I walked away from the reasonably priced Lawman (by crooked I mean slanted, canted, out of plumb, the top of the barrel and front sight are at the 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock position).

I gotta believe the recoil on a snub Lawman is HEAVENLY compared to that of my 11 ounce snub .357 (built by that company whose name I shall not mention), full power .357 from my 11 ounce snub is STOUT, some say brutal, aaaaah, to me, brutal was how I'd describe my motorcycle accident, so I wouldn't quite go that far, but recoil is stout. Some say to understand that type of recoil, find a painted cement floor and slap your open hand against it real hard, or catch a fast ball with your bare hands, that too may be a bit exaggerated but I'd say it illustrates the experience better than any other I've read. Still, I would not trade that gun nor use .38 +P, I want all the power I can get out of a 5 shot snub that literally vanishes inside a pant or coat pocket.

Anyway, you probably laugh off recoil in that, what, 35 ounce gun? I also have an all steel 5 shot snub that is TWICE the weight of my 11 ounce snub, and in that thing full power .357 is a walk in the park, so out of a BIG Lawman, I bet you don't even know that the gun went off and the only sign that it did is everybody holding their ears, despite already having earplugs in.

When I shot my 11 ounce snub with .357, it stopped everybody nearby, and one guy came up to me to find out what the heck was that dang loud. I made it through 37 rounds of .357 that day and went home with a red swollen hand. I expended some 230 rounds, all calibers, that day, but only 37 using my super light snub, I brought a .22 with me too.

I tried a snub Lawman with the original big wood grips and a Tyler T grip adapter, the exact set up you have Clang, it felt perfect to me, you may want to give those a try Craig, but it's all personal preference. I like original wood with Tyler's. On my all steel 22 ounce snub in .357 I shot it with full power loads using a rubber Uncle Mike's grip boot grip I had no complaints, and I've since installed factory wood with a Tyler, but haven't shot it yet.

I have shot my larger K frame 6 shot .357 with factory wood and Tyler's, and it was a pussycat with full house .357, honestly, if you in ANY WAY believe that .357 is a heavy recoiling round, you should try shooting .357 out of an 11 ounce snub, after that, you'll never think any .357 revolver over 20 and especially not 30+ ounces, is in any way a heavy recoiling gun, not ever.

Clang, some months back there was a "smooth" electroless nickel or "brushed" e-nickel snub Lawman on gunbroker, and I had to resist with my might (the skinny wallet helped), you have the satin e-nickel, I saw one like that too on gunbroker, and I had to resist that one too, as I like the satin finish very much.

I originally wanted a blued version, and I still do, that should be my second Lawman, I want a bright nickel version for my first Lawman. I often see fairly cheap snub Lawmen on gunbroker when they have the UNSHROUDED ejector rod, and I almost bought one, it's the same gun after all, but I think I'll hold out for a shrouded version. The Lawman is a nice way to get a Colt revolver at a fair price, they don't have the cache of Pythons and snakes, so they sell for affordable prices.

Well, thanks to you both Craig and Clang for helping me live vicariously through your: "Tales of the Colt Lawman"!!! And for the heck of it, just so I can contribute a bit of "Colt-ness" of my own to this thread, here again is the photo of my Colt Government Model .45 in brushed electroless nickel, it's a used mildly bruised shooter, but used very little and still very right and tight!

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mister,

Recoil is pretty subjective as you know. I will mention my other brand, a Taurus snub in 357 with ports. Side by side with the Colt, the recoil impulse is quite different, as to be expected. The Taurus was a purchase for a hunting buddy who was coming from out of state for a bow hunt. It was easier at the time (post 911 flying) for me to pick up a gun than it was for him to try and fly with one. It has pretty much sat in a drawer for a decade, with no real use for me other than a down and dirty gun to grab, just in case. No real desire to shoot or reload for it.

My Colt on the other hand, is fun to shoot, nice to admire and will make a nice hip gun. The stock wood grips are a tad on the small side for me, and I like the feel of the Pach's, so far. Have not shot with them yet, but in dry firing (with caps) and handling it seems to point better and I have room for my off hand to stay clear of the trigger finger. Folks here said that Badger was the place for aftermarket grips, but they have none on the website, and the new owner was unsure of the gun. I sent him a picture of the grip frame to run past the old owner, be we both got sidetracked. He sounded a bit busy for me to want to fiddle with it. I have done a fair amount of grip work myself, and I might try and tackle a custom set this winter. I have a high end stock making outfit near me, and I can get some REALLY nice wood. I want to try and do a boot grip type style.

And I completely agree, I very much like the shroud on these short barreled guns, whomever the make. As to what I will be shooting in mine, I will be doing some experimenting this winter to decide whether full on 357 mag, or reloads that are more like plus P 38. For what I want from it, no real reason to have a lot of blast and noise, to only pick up a few fps. Recoil will not be an issue, but the gun should be able to tell me what it likes.....and where I hit that point of diminishing returns.

Nice 45 you have there.

Craig

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I feel your pain.Everyone knows I am the snubbie fan and want a Lawman snubbie also.JUst have to wait until Mrs. CRN lifts the ban on any more ponies to my collection. The next gun is "Going to seriously cost me" according to her.For now the stable population stays as is.I was visiting Gunbroker and saw a nice one for 495 dollars.It is unshrouded ,just like all of my Detective Specials and my Cobra,but Mrs CRN said "Don't even think about it." woah is me LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cruiser, maybe you should take a peek into the closet of your Mrs. and count the number of pairs of shoes she has... (insert evil grin happy smiley face icon here)

If she is like many women who own, oh... about THREE HUNDRED pairs of shoes, then maybe you'll have a little more bargaining power with her!!! If not shoes, handbags? Dresses? ;)

Women just need a little reminder that they are not so different from us guys in certain respects...

Craig, thanks for the compliment on my Government Model! It has a factory letter claiming it was once on display at the Colt factory in Hartford, CT. I don't know if the letter is authentic so I intend to get my own letter one day to verify this. Regardless, even without the letter it is a neat old Colt!

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Mr Colt your astute observation applies to Shoes, Purses,and Jewelery.In regards to "MY PAIN" I am reminded of a married sage that provided the following words of wisdom"Do you want to be RIGHT, or do you want to be HAPPY?" eventually the time will come where she will mellow and I will get my Lawman it will just take patience. Then I will be Right,Happy,and have my Lawman LOL.
Cruiser, maybe you should take a peek into the closet of your Mrs. and count the number of pairs of shoes she has... (insert evil grin happy smiley face icon here)

If she is like many women who own, oh... about THREE HUNDRED pairs of shoes, then maybe you'll have a little more bargaining power with her!!! If not shoes, handbags? Dresses? ;)

Women just need a little reminder that they are not so different from us guys in certain respects...

Craig, thanks for the compliment on my Government Model! It has a factory letter claiming it was once on display at the Colt factory in Hartford, CT. I don't know if the letter is authentic so I intend to get my own letter one day to verify this. Regardless, even without the letter it is a neat old Colt!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mister,
I agree with Craig, mine was in the same price range (paid $795 at GA)
I couldn't find it in any of the local gun stores. Its about 97-98%
I like it and it's my alternate CCW. I had an old Galco holster for my 686
that fits my MKIII snub just fine :)
Here's some pics.....took it to the range for the first time yesterday
and tho its not as accurate as the python, It's still very impressive at how
much it absorbs felt recoil (compared to other revolvers of same size)
I was using 158 grains 357 and 38's at 7 & 10 yards.
The grip adapter helped a lot but its not really made for it. (it's for an L frame )

_

-

-

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that's a NICE gun Knight, seeing photos of these guns should make it easy for anyone to understand why we like them so much. There is one in my future!! It's funny what you mentioned about the Tyler adapter being for a Smith & Wesson L frame because on ebay one day, I saw a vintage Tyler adapter, gold painted, stamped address, not laser engraved, with a no reserve bid of only $5 on it. I do not have a Colt revolver anymore (I used to have several and sold them all, stupid stupid stupid... ). Even though I don't have a Colt revolver anymore, I could not let a cheap Tyler pass me buy so I bid on it and got it for $13. I tried it on a very old Smith K frame .38 shooter I have and though it doesn't fit great it fits okay and that's where it remains, a Colt grip adapter on a Smith & Wesson, just opposite of your situation.

Thanks again for the write up and the photos of that fine revolver!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
No problem :)
I like looking at pics in the forums so I figured I 'd share some of my pics as well.
The mkIII is really a neat little "big" gun imho.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Knight,

Thanks, as well. Looks like your factory grips are pretty decent, in terms of wood. I have a bunch of the HKS speed loaders that work well, and have a couple of different safariland ones coming that I hope will work. I'll report back on the speedloaders once they arrive. Safariland did (or maybe still does) make a split 6 belt speedloader holder that circles the loader with three rounds on the inside of the belt and three on the outside, that works very well. I have one that fits a smaller belt, as I think I have seen the black duty style that are designed for a very wide belt.

Oh and back on the Colt collecting. One of the upsides to this gun is that it is one way to get something from Colt that has Colt Case Coloring, and does not cost 2 grand or better :)

Craig

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well Cruiser, I guess we all now know why I am still single at 50!!!! ;) ;) I should say, earlier this week, a classmate from my graduating class died from cancer, he was not a friend, but going through four years of high school with somebody means something, and it was VERY SOBERING to read that he died. Game over. Finito. Schluss. EVERYTHING he knew, did, was, came to an immutable end. I have had close family and friends die, but this death of my classmate woke me up yet again. So what I'm saying is, yep, just be happy, whether you be single, married, in between, whatever the case may be, be happy. This party has an expiration date, so... may all our days be lived well, however they're spent.

Hey, just because being "right" isn't always enough in married life, that doesn't mean ya' can't be a little sneaky... ;) While the wife is away, why don't you take out about ten or twenty pairs of her shoes, bring them to the living room, and spend a couple hours polishing them all. Time this strategically so that you're still polishing, she arrives home to see you taking good care of her prized possessions.

Seeing her husband doing such a nice thing may get her all misty eyed, and when she asks why you're being so kind, ya' can lay it on thick about how you care (and hopefully you do in fact), and THAT is when you really go to work. Maybe a few sniffles, a little mist in your own eyes, and in a trembling voice, mention how you too wish you had a new toy of your own to polish, another sniffle or two for effect, and then if you succeed in softening her up, ya' mention the Lawman (There is a nice nickel Lawman MKV snub currently in the 4 sale section). ;)

Okay, it's crude, she'll see right through it, but hey, ya' never know, worth a try, right? ;) ;) Or how about this, while polishing all these shoes, you mention you'd like to have a "be good to ourselves" day and each you of go shopping, she for a pair of shoes, you for a Colt Lawman. Okay, so I'm simple minded but you get the general idea and I'm sure a little brainstorming among us scheming males can come up with a better plan!

Again, Craig, that's one nice Lawman, and the model and style I hope to own one day. I saw a few come and go on the web but cash just wasn't plentiful so I passed. My day for a nickel plated snub Lawman will come. Honestly though, I'm pretty happy with what I already own. Sometimes when I want something, I just have to grab something I already am very very happy with, like that electroless nickel Government Model in my photos, and I'm happy. Since my Army days and after a few close calls in life, I've learned, if I'm not cold, wet, hungry, tired, or in pain, LIFE IS GOOD.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya' had to do that to me didn't ya' Wiz! :):) I have not been doing so well cash wise for the past year so I have not bought anything, but yep, if I turn my finances around, you'll be hearing from me! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts