Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this cylinder under the assumption It was for a D frame . It is definetly too big . It measures 1.558" long and 1.553" in diameter. It is engraved with police type scenes form the turn of the century to the near present.
It is nicely done and plated. Any info would be great! THanks!!!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
It's a late type Colt Medium "E&I" frame cylinder.

The measurements are right on the money, and the staked center bushing at the rear is a late style cylinder feature.

Since it's an un-fluted cylinder, and is engraved and plated, I'm going to say it's either from a special order Custom Shop gun, or from some limited production model.

The actual gun it was made for IF it's a true .38 Special and not a .357 Magnum, was probably for an Official Police.

Best guess: It was probably an Official Police commemorative model made for some Eastern US police department or police association as a private limited production item.

Colt made a lot of special models for fraternal organizations, clubs, and law enforcement associations.
At one time, Colt would make these special models in as little as 25 gun runs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!! I just rechecked and It is chambered for a .357 mag.. So this is a Python cylinder ?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
"Python cylinder"??

Due to the size, caliber, and the length of the cylinder locking notch leads or "ramps", about the only Colt that "fits" is the Python.

I notice there are what appear to be two letters stamped on the cylinder bushing at the rear.

Can you make out what they are?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are numbers 06 or 90
BTW Thanks dfarriswheel. MVP is an understatement!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts