Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking at a 1st gen that started life as a 4 3/4" 45 and was sent back to the factory for a caliber change to a 7 1/2" 44/40 . With documentation and the proper stamp on the gun, how does this affect the value ? It also has a factory refinish. Thanks

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
If it's all documented on a Colt letter, it wouldn't really change it much...for me at least. It is what it is. To the purist, maybe it would. I actually would rather have the 7 1/2 44/40 and I think showing it was all done at Colt makes it ok. I tend to prefer shooters over shelf displays. Usually. When was the work done, as compared to it's original version?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any other opinions on this? The gun as made in 1901 and re-worked by Colt just after WW2. It has the S and & stamped on it from Colt.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Wow, that's kind of an unusual caliber change. You would more typically think of that change going the other way; 44-40 was way down in popularity after the war, and most of the caliber changes that I've seen have gone to the shorter bbls. What roll mark does it have for the caliber? Can you post an image?

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here ya go..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
This is an interesting reworked SAA. Are you sure the work was done post WWII? The roll mark on the bbl shows that it is approximately 1923 or earlier, and the colour case hardening doesn't look like most of the post WWII Colt refinishes that I've seen, it looks more like work done in the '20s. Also, and I don't know the answer, but was Colt still using the ampersand for reworks after the war?

BTW, it is a really nice looking SAA.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
19,161 Posts
I agree with Monsai52 that the barrel marking is not what Colt was using post WW2. Maybe Colt grabbed up a left-over barrel, but I remain skeptical.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That’s what the family was told by the deceased owner but I’m sure the barrel would have been out of old 1st gen stock. Colt keeps no record of refinished guns.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with Monsai52 that the barrel marking is not what Colt was using post WW2. Maybe Colt grabbed up a left-over barrel, but I remain skeptical.
What are you skeptical about? I was about to pull the trigger on this one but if something is wrong, let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
This is a really nice first generation single action army revolver. However, in its present configuration I would have to value it for its component parts. That is, what is the value of this Colt with all components except for the value of the barrel. I would then determine if I could find a .45 Colt 4 3/4" barrel of appropriate vintage and similar condition. I would also determine the value of this .44-40 7 1/2" barrel.

The value of this gun should be no more than the sum total of the barrel you require and the value of the remainder of the revolver less what you can obtain for that other barrel if sold.

I would knock 10 to 15% off the value due to factory refinish.

If you are willing to do all this, I'm guessing mid to high 2's, possibly 3k. As is, with a replaced barrel and some legwork involved, $2499 could be a stretch. Not a huge leap, but possibly a slight stretch.

Edit: I was multitasking when writing this post. I forgot about having to replace the cylinder as well. Further "problems" to fix.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, I kinda fell in love with it. I love 44-40's and I got this one for about the price of a 3rd gen in this configuration. The front sight has been filed on the top but other than that, it looks pretty solid to me. Colt confirmed the stampings on the TG as theirs but could not say when it was done. The owner says it was shipped to Colt immediately following WW2 but, memories can get a bit foggy after 60-70 years. Who knows for sure. Here are a few more pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I see a partial S/N on the cylinder, it seems unusual that Colt would use a mismatched serial numbered cylinder in a rework; that and the teens or '20s vintage bbl would make me question a bit if Colt did the caliber change.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I see a partial S/N on the cylinder, it seems unusual that Colt would use a mismatched serial numbered cylinder in a rework; that and the teens or '20s vintage bbl would make me question a bit if Colt did the caliber change.

Best regards,
Well, that throws a wrench into things, now doesn't it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts