Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I remember reading on this site about the rare, elusive Colt Python chambered in .22LR and/or .22 magnum before...but it's come up twice this week for me, so I thought I'd ask again. I did a bit of research and found what I thought I remembered - that a "mockup" .22 LR Python was created for a photo shoot, but none of that caliber were ever shipped...then, on the National Firearms Museum's website, I found this as the second sentence of the first paragraph on the Colt Python Revolver page. (The National Firearms Museum: Colt Python revolver)

"While considered once for .41 Magnum, the Python has been chambered regularly in .38 Special, .22 LR and .22 WMR and most consistently, in .357 Magnum."

My LGS says he has "a buddy" who bought one of these Pythons chambered in .22 magnum. I told him I didn't think they were ever produced, but he assures me that "Colt sent out a lot of 60 guns, then recalled them and got the all back but 17..." and his buddy has one.

Would you please set me straight?

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
The Python 22 - It's Alive!

In Colt's 1981 Products Catalog, you will see a single page promo for its New 22 Magnum Python, which was never produced. However the promotion gun, with "Python 22" roll-marks, is owned (or was owned in 2011) by an acquaintance of a Forum Member. Here is one of the threads on that gun with actual photos of it along side the catalog promotion:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/44376-22-magnum-python.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kanatak for taking the time to point me toward the information. I really appreciate this forum!

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
There were two Pythons in .22 Magnum and one in .22 LR sold in the Colt Archive auctions in 2009. These were all experimental guns with prototype ("X") serial numbers. They are authenticated with Colt Archive letters. They were functional guns; however, some were missing minor parts. I have original catalog photos and full auction descriptions of these guns if anyone is interested.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
I would not expect the National Firearms Museum to have such a significant factual error. That shakes my faith in anything else coming out of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Judge, I had an email constructed to send to the National Firearms Museum asking about that mistake, but I didn't send it because I wanted to confirm with this forum that it is indeed mistaken. My LGS emailed me yesterday to say his buddy's gun is indeed a Diamondback. Mystery solved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts