Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read about some disappointing factory and gunsmithing services (not Colt) on other forums, I just want to share my good experience with Colt.

Some time ago I purchased a 4" Python at a pawn shop at a pretty good price. It had significant holster and grip wear, but grouped well and I liked the feel. After about 100 rounds of .357 SWC, the cylinder release latch stuck and would not open. I sent the gun in to Colt via UPS on the 7th of October requesting: (1) Repair cylinder latch, (2) Adjust timing, (3) Refinish in royal blue, and (4) fit new style Elite wood grips. Colt received the gun on the 10th.

On 21 October I received a letter from Colt detailing costs and a request to send full payment - I sent a money order to Colt the same day. They estimated the job would take 20 business days to complete.

Today (16 Nov) FedEx delivered the Python.

Now, the gun is so dang nice I'm hesitant to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe,
Unfortunately the price breakdown was sent back with payment to Colt and in my excitment a copy was not made. But as I recall the Elite grips were $65 and the Royal Blue refinish was $220. The money order for the whole job was $393. So the insured shipping, timing adjustment, and latch repair must have cost $108 - but do not hold me to these exact costs.
-Bob

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It takes time and a handsome bill, but boy that sure does look nice!

Congrats on your Python and enjoy!

Keep them smoking,

Gunsmoke.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
You've just answered an oft-asked question:
"Is Colt still able to do a really GOOD blue job?"

NICE looking Python.

To care for the new blue job, for the next 3 weeks or so keep a thin layer of a good lube on it.

Once every few days gently rub a fresh coat on with a clean patch.

This will continue to "cure" the new bluing, remove any oxidized blue, and will make the finish shine even more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
All I can say is WOW!!!

Congrats. That's a beautiful Python. As good a polish and blue as I've ever seen, horsey looks like he could jump right off the gun and the other markings look like they were stamped yesterday. Well done.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It sure does look good.I'm haveing a Python done locally for $150 and was assured that the gunsmith takes extra care with Pythons and I'd be pleased.Should have it back in the next few days.I got my fingers crossed and hope mine looks as good as yours.It's a 2 1/2 incher...I'll post pictures if happy,,,burn out and hope this post fades away if it don't,,,he he
Joe

·
Registered
185 Posts
while I know talk like this makes collectors shudder, pictures like this make me consider buying a rough finished, but mechanicly sound Python just to do the same thing and to use as a shooter.

I would want a blued 6" and have the hammer and trigger jewelled with 2.5 - 3.0lb pull.

I bet that would be awesome! (eye of the beholder)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts