Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All...Can anyone tell me if it OK to shoot .38 SPL +P in a Colt Officer's Model Match Serial #933xxx..?? What say ye learned gentlemen..???
Thanks...
PETE

·
Registered
574 Posts
Pete: Your question is like asking what flavor ice cream one likes. There are a million opinions on this subject, but I'll give you mine since you asked.

As a collector who shoots occasionally, rather than a shooter who occasionally collects, I tend towards the view that the older, high quality target revolvers like the OMM should be respected, shot within their intended limits and preserved, rather than pushed to the max unnecessarily. Can one shoot +P loads in the OMM safely? I would guess yes. Would I do it in my own gun and run even a small risk of damage to a quality gun that will never be made again? No.

If you want to shoot +P loads I would say shoot them in a revolver that was originally designed to do so, and save the OMM for target loads.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I also agree. Why stress a finely tuned target revolver when there are plenty of service revolvers out there that are built for those loads.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I agree, DON'T DO IT!

To my way of thinking, it would be like me buying an old GTO or 'cuda, spend tens of thousands of dollars in restoring it and then decide to run "Nitro" in it.

I would buy a Ruger, put hot loads in it and blast away, you get the same affect.
JMHO

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts