Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL...Can I safely fire .38 Special Plus P ammo in my Officers Model Match..?? No long term ill effects..???
What say ye learned gentlemen..???
Thanks..
Pete

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Re: Yes, see below

Colt would list ammo choices for those guns as mid range, standard and high speed. In the sixties, high speed was the early plus p ammo. Mike

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hi sargeny1;

I'm certain that your Officer's Model Match can handle +P ammo though it isn't warranted for it. It won't blow up if that is your concern however it's reason for being is as a target revolver, a function it capably handles. If a person was required to utilize an Officer's Model for defensive use then the firing of a cylinder-full or two for familiarization won't affect it and it could be kept loaded with +P ammunition for personal protection.

One sees a lot of questions about the use of +P ammunition in various models of .38 Special revolvers, both here and over on the S&W forum. It makes me wonder whether some folks are intent on feeding their revolvers a steady diet of +P ammunition, a puzzling practice in my view. The stuff is expensive, loud, hard recoiling, and not generally a top choice for accuracy. None of which are appealing to me in my use of the .38 Special at the target range. If a person feels that he must extensively practice with heavy .38 Special loads it'd be a shame to use a fine Officer's Model Match for the purpose. It will wear parts that are not so easy to come by. I'd recommend a late vintage Colt Trooper Mk III or a Lawman for such use. Or purchase a Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel for dedicated use with heavy .38 Special loads. I've had one for over 30 years and fired a jillion rounds through it. It's nigh onto indestructable.

I'd be thrilled to save the Officer's Model Match for "Sunday driving".

·
Registered
312 Posts
It is safe. The long term effects will be wear on the parts that turn and lock the cylinder. Work on these parts will cost plenty. I only use wadcutter loads in my target guns and shoot +P loads in guns chambered for magnums or 38spl carried a lot and shot little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts