Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
It appears to be an early one. If it's a 4-digit serial starting with 7 that would put it at 1911. I've shot one made in 1910 and it shoots just fine. I have one from 1922 myself. Great guns.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
there is a light struck 2 in front of the 7
That's what I was wondering. I have one of these from 1911 and it doesn't look like this gun. If it was number 27816 it would be from 1916. The gun looks correct for a 1916 .380. If that is the case the grips are the correct style I think but they look like reproductions to me by looking at the brass colored screw escutcheons.

This is what one from 1911 should look like:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
twaits is absolutely right... the grips are different on the early ones but yours appear "correct" (maybe repro as mentioned). I believe the magazine is also correct for that gun.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Appears original except the grip panels, I'll agree with Twaits they are reproduction,a lot of finish left but some pitting? Hard to make out due to the dark pictures. A $500 pistol and that's a guesstimate based on two pictures without a lot of definition. The pitting is a detractor as are the grips. The pros are original magazine and finish coverage. How is the bore and the innards? Everything either adds or subtracts to someone evaluating and condition and originality are everything.

One thing you will learn on this forum. You already bought the pistol so it's worth what you paid for it to you. Opinions will vary on valuations but our esteemed members will do their best given what they have to work with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is about what i thought it was worth. bore is great only light specks no deep pits in finish. I have the original grips one is broke. How do you tell if the grips are repops? The ones i put on it have small scratches and some wear just so i know in the future

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
That is about what i thought it was worth. bore is great only light specks no deep pits in finish. I have the original grips one is broke. How do you tell if the grips are repops? The ones i put on it have small scratches and some wear just so i know in the future
I can tell because I've used a lot of the same type from Vintage Gun Grips. They were made out of a mold from original grips and they don't look quite right. They can be improved a bit with very fine steel wool to shine them up a bit. The biggest giveaway with these type of repro grips are the brass grip escutcheons. Maybe Colt made them out of brass but they never look that "brassy". Also they just look different from originals. The screw is flush with the surface of the escutcheon on the original grips. Check out what they should look like on Sam Liskers site here:

Colt Pistols and Revolvers for Firearms Collectors - Model 1903 .32 ACP & Model 1908 .380 ACP Pocket Hammerless Factory Grips

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.