Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acording to all the ref. books the shortest bbl. on a pocket pos. was 2 1/2.

mine has a 2" & threads on what should be the forceing cone.

Am I the victim of a shadetree gunsmith?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
Doesn't sound good.
Colt turned the rear of the barrel to a smooth finish to prevent fouling from building up, and the threads are concealed inside the frame.

Having that much exposed threading is usually a good sign someone has set the barrel WAY back, more than just one turn.

Another good indicator would be if the bottom of the barrel has had the threads filed flat to clear the crane and cylinder.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Therevjay,

Try checking the barrel patent date address and the caliber marking on the left side of the barrel and see if it is all present and centered properly. Also check the top of the frame and see if there is an index mark that extends across the frame onto the barrel and that it is centered... This would give you a fair indication, but a Colt Historical Letter would tell you for sure... Hope that helps. Bob Best

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everybody, for the helpfull advice.

after a close look, yes the bottom of the threads has been filed flat.also under magnification their are touched up vise marks on frame and tool marks on bbl.

oh well, it's still a cute little gun. [and i never claimed to be a upscale collecter]

"I have no respect for a man who can only spell a word one way"........Mark Twain

1 - 5 of 5 Posts