Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an original set of MOP grips for my Pocket Positive. They didn't come with the grip screw. They fit fine, but the screw that was used with my original gutta percha grips is too large in diameter, and 2 mm too long to use with the pearl grips. Obviously the threads are not correct on the gutta percha screw as well. Any ideas where I might find a correct screw? I seem to remember that there was someone on Ebay that would make screws for Colt handguns, but I don't see him having anything listed at this time. I'll post on the wanted to buy forum, but any other suggestions are appreciated.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,607 Posts
The question is "was the original MOP screw a Colt screw and the same for both the hard rubber and MOP?

Gun Parts Corp list an original Colt Pocket Positive screw.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1418590

Gungrip sell many grip screws. Possibly you can get one there.

https://gungrip.com/gun-grip-screws-2.aspx

One thing to make things easier is to go to a large hardware store and see if they have a thread checker.
Using that you may be able to identify the exact thread that you need.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Take the grips to your local hardware store and determine what the thread diameter and pitch are. Your local Ace Hardware probably has the best selection of screws to look thru. That's half the battle. Being Colt, the thread is most likely SAE rather than metric. I have a box full of different size grip type screws, if you will send me the info I will dig thru it and see if I have something that will fit. If I do, it's yours free of charge! By the way, the grip screws usually have a special type of head on them.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. I will take the grip w/the threaded escutcheon in to see if they can determine thread diameter/pitch. Then, I'll try to post the exact dimensions. To be clear, the screw that came with the gun on its gutta percha grips is too thick and long to fit in the MOP grips that I found. The MOP grips have the screw escutcheons with the serrated edges, just like Colt grips have, but I guess that doesn't guarantee they are original Colt grips. The MOP grips are old enuf that they don't have the Colt emblems. If they are Colt, it's strange that they would take a different screw, although the total width of the gun w/gutta percha grips is slightly wider than when it's wearing the MOP grips since the MOP grips are slightly thinner, so that indicates at least that a different length screw is required. I've had PM's from other members; just proves the willingness of all to help fellow members.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Tom Hulett, in Michigan, of "Apertures and More" has made a number of odd grips screws for me. Sam Lisker recommended him to me several years ago. You probably will have to determine the thread pitch and count that you need, or possibly send the panel with the threaded escutcheon to Tom.

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/contactus.sc

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom Hulett, in Michigan, of "Apertures and More" has made a number of odd grips screws for me. Sam Lisker recommended him to me several years ago. You probably will have to determine the thread pitch and count that you need, or possibly send the panel with the threaded escutcheon to Tom.

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/contactus.sc
Another great resource. Thanks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Grip screws are always unconventional thread pitches, the head style is called a fillister head. The surest way to determine threads per inch is with a thread guage, a machine shop or really good hardware store will have one Not Home Depot. A gunsmith, tool and die maker, or machinist will definitely have one.
You will have to try various screws by hand, don't damage the threads in the process. Then try to duplicate that screw once you determine size. Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts