Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taking another look at an old Colt revolver I bought at a local Sheriff's Office auction for $90. No information was provided on it at the time. I just knew it looked old and didn't appear to be a junky, no name model. I don't have very many revolvers and am no expert on them by any means. After some more research, I think I've determined it to be a Colt Pocket Positive bearing s/n 307xx. If that's correct, then according to Colt's website that would date it to around 1906. It has very little finish remaining, however mechanically, it seems to function pretty good. There's a very worn Colt rampant horse superimposed over a stylized 'C'. Behind the front sight you can just make out 'Colts Patent...' with the rest unreadable. A '3' is also stamped on the left side to the rear of the trigger guard. No other markings are present with the exception of the s/n. Does this appear the be a Pocket Positive? I found a source on eBay for replacement ejector rod heads, however, will these even fit? If so, which style would be correct? Do the grips appear original? The fit seems poor and there is a lot of movement to them. I'm not interested in selling it, however, I am curious what a value may be. Thanks in advance.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Colt-Revolve...od-Head-P-n-56132/1033116153?iid=121429274396

https://www.ebay.com/p/Colt-Post-Wa...od-Head-P-n-56165/1431411193?iid=111454618498

Attachments

·
The Consummate Collector
7,160 Posts
No, it's not a Pocket Positive but appears to be a Police Positive from 1909. It would be chambered in .38 New Police Cartridge (.38 S&W) however I would not try to shoot the gun due to it's condition. The original grips would have been in Hard Rubber.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Be sure it locks up good and is in time before you fire it.
If it has excess end play or rattles or does not go into battery, use it for a doorstop or a paper weight. Or a wheel chock.
I have and old (1919) Police Positive .32 that shoots good, but the action is somewhat ginked, and is not reliable. DA is ok, but SA likes to be run nice and slow.
Yours is a real beater, but you might be able to make it work OK.
A knowledgeable gunsmith can tell you if it needs anything important, like parts or tuning & adjustment.
While you're at it, get an ejector knob and some grips.
If you can make that thing run, you will have a nice little revolver.
For $90, you have nothin' to lose, really.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
That thing looks like it has lead a hard life.

The best thing to do in my opinion would be to grab a copy of the Jerry K. shop manual Volume 1 and start learning. After reading, tear the gun apart and see what's what. If you need any parts watch ebay or contact Jack First. Get it back into running condition if needed.

Now is the time to become more familiar with revolvers, you have a $90 training piece. It may be functional now, but the condition it's in could easily develop problems once you start cycling or shooting it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts