Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning--

I'm looking at a Police Pos Special (.38 Sp caliber of course). Five inch barrel, perfect checkered wood grips with silver medallions, one small mark on the barrel, otherwise as new. My check of the Colt references shows it was made in 1939. Price 400 bucks. What do you think? Good deal or not? I usually go for the target guns, but. . .

Bill A

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bill: I would say that this would be a good, not a great, deal. It is certainly ballpark so if you like the gun, go get it. You will enjoy the gun a lot more than the $400 in your pocket. Pre-war Colts were the high water mark in terms of quality, and the last time I checked they weren't making any more of 'em. My $.02. Charlie

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A good (not great) deal on a great little revolver. Surprisingly accurate for a fix sighted model. It has a comfortable grip for a small frame and just enough heft to let you enjoy shooting .38sp. Most I have seen shot dead on with good 158gr bullets.
Good little fun guns that can also pull defensive duties extremely well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies, which pretty much confirm my own guesstimate. I have quite a few prewar Colts, mostly OMT's; once did actually have a 4" 1937 PPS in .38 Sp. I traded it because even tho' it was mechanically perfect, it had some rust on the barrel I couldn't stand to look at. This one really does look almost "unfired" and except for one rather minor blemish on the barrel is mighty nice. The 5" barrel is kind of interesting too.

Seems to me that there are enough of these around that even in good shape like this I can justify actually shooting it. I think I've talked myself into buying it.

Bill A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts