Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
New member here. I have a PP 22lr from 1925 that was my late father's. It is in need of repair. The hammer rotates freely as does the trigger (they just flop back and forth). After removing the grips and comparing with the line art drawing in the Numrich's parts catalog, I see that the revolver is missing it mainspring and possibly other small parts. I have removed the two screws on the sideplate, but can not get it to fall loose to remove. I have use a penetrating oil and allowed to rest and "soak" for a week. I have tried to "rock" the sideplate with a wooden popcicle stick to not mark the gun's finish. The side plate will not fall loose. What steps am I not doing? I have also removed the cylinder assembly for ease of viewing the latch area. Does the latch assembly need to be removed before the sideplate will remove? What steps do I go from here to get the sideplate off to see if I also need the hammer stirrup parts? I have no local "Colt" gunsmith to do the work.

I feel the revolver is about 95%+ on its finish. It has the tinyest of a rust pit on the barrel right side just back from the muzzle. I'm thinking that moisture from the holster may be the problem with that from many years ago.
thank you for you assistance.
tctarget (kent)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,448 Posts
Actual repair of the older Colt revolvers are very difficult since all parts were hand fitted and in some cases actually bent to get a proper fit.

If you want to try this yourself, there's nothing better available then the Jerry Kuhnhausen Shop Manual, Volume One.
This was written as a training aid for new gunsmiths and goes into great depth on all aspects of the Colt's.
The techniques shown are those used by the Colt factory, not the usual gun butcher things you see in old books.
If you really want to do this yourself, you really NEED this book, otherwise I can pretty well guarantee that you will not get the gun operating correctly, and may well ruin it completely.

THE COLT DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS - A SHOP MANUAL | Brownells

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,448 Posts
Note in the shop manual that disassembly of these older models REQUIRE two special tools.
You can buy both the ejector wrench and the crane bushing tube wrench from Brownell's:

Ejector wrench. I don't necessarily recommend it, but some people use a socket from a socket set:

COLT WRENCH | Brownells

Crane bushing tool. You MUST have this one to get the ejector rod assembly apart on the older models made before about 1972, which the Police Positive is:

COLT CRANE BUSHING TOOL | Brownells

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi folks,

I have had success in disassembling the gun. My local gun shop had the above Colt manual and they were kind enough to allow me to borrow it. While holding the frame with side plate down and giving the grip frame area a few taps with a plastic mallet, the side plate fell loose. Having the gun soaked in oil for the past two weeks was an asset as it had loosened the dried dirt and lub on the internals from years of storage. I removed all of the action parts, placing them in a glass dish to soak in #9 while I cleaned the frame. All parts seem to be good with no rust or pitting. The mainspring is the only part missing. I have reassembled the action up to installing the side frame and cylinder release. I now need to find the mainspring. I have not found any parts lists on the web for a 22lr, but for a 32 or 38 mainspring part number from the Numrich catalog is #175160. I have not found the Colt part number at this time. Anybody know if the 22 uses the same mainspring as the 32/38?

Also the photo in the service manual shows a "pin" for the mainspring that goes in place just behind the pin for the rebound lever. Is this mainspring pin a separate part or is it attached to the mainspring as one item?

After looking at the Brownell's site, I do not need the two tools list above as I am not disassembling the cylinder assembly. I only removed it as a whole assembly to clean and for access to the frame latch area.

Thanks for the help.
kent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.