Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Police Positive .22lr w/ a 4"bbl.with fixed sights. I had never seen this configuration before. Is it unusual?

I'm guessing it is a late 1st issue or early second issue. Serial # 214772.

Charles

[This message has been edited by cda926 (edited 06-23-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Congratulations! This is a very rare Colt!! Serial # puts its birth in 1925 They were "special order" training/practice guns for P.D.s that used the very popular P.P and P.P Special models.

What type of stocks does it have? and markings,as 1926 was the transition year to wood.from "hard rubber stocks".

Earlier Police Positives had a thinner,from front to back straps grip configuration,than later ones,and 1926,seems about the date of the change.

Bud

[This message has been edited by lonewolf (edited 06-23-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ditto on only seeing one,which,IMO, was ruined by aftermarket engraving and ill fitting pearl stocks. Seller said it had "provenance" to some famous Judge. I also saw one advertised about 15 years ago in Gun List.

Henry Stebbins,in one of his books,"Pistols,A Modern Encyclopedia",1961,mentions seeing some unusually long barreled Police Positives in a store window here in Portland,Maine,when he was a kid,around W.W.One. Henry was not a native,but "a summer complaint"(a summer tourist!). He doesn't state the caliber or actual barrel length,but figures they were specially made for Maine Trappers,who liked the longer barrelled guns(like the H&R Trapper Model .22) as they could use their off hand,with a heavy glove,to hold the barrel and get a perfect head shot on a snared critter,and not put a hole in the pelt!

Never have seen anything over a 6" listed for the P.P. and P.P.S.,in any caliber,regular or target. But I do know that Maine "outdoorsmen" loved the longest barrels. Have 3 7.5" New Services(38/40,44/40 and .45 Colt) and 2 Triple Lock Smiths, one fixed sighted and one a target model,with the very rare 7.5 bbls. Probaly less than 100 made in 7.5.
". All 5 of these came from Maine estate sales.

You probably won't shoot it,and who can blame you,but my little 1972 Cobra .22,with the 3" bbl. is a great little woods companion!

Bud

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW!! The gun came to me without grips and I installed a period set of wood P.P. grips. I am an rabid police marked gun collector .Guess I'll get this one lettered.

The last patent date is '26.

It has been parkerized. The markings are very sharp. There is a problem with the timing that should be an easy fix.

I'll be glad to email pics to anyone interested.

Charles

P.S.,

Don't tell anyone.But,I won it on an internet auction for...... (drum roll!!) ...
$26 plus $8 shipping.

CDA

[This message has been edited by cda926 (edited 06-24-2005).]

[This message has been edited by cda926 (edited 06-24-2005).]

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Interesting find, a 4" Police Positive 22. Love to find one of those. I have a 6" Police Positive Target in 22 that is fairly nice (ie about 98%). I believe the Police Positive was introduced in 22LR in 1910 and discontinued in 1943.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts