Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a PP .32 NP from a local gunshop. This is a blue 5" service model with round latch, sandblasted (?) matte frame top, and checkered walnut grips with silver medallion. SN is 3043XX. Owner thought it was made in 1929. Is that correct? Are the grips original to that period? (I expected hard rubber).

Revolver is mechanically near mint, but shows signs of being carried a lot. About 80% of the bright blue remains with bluing off the muzzle and first 2" of the centers of the sides of the barrel, the sharp corners of the front of the frame and cylinder, and the corners of the front of the trigger guard. The bottom of the right grip panel has tiny chips out of it, and the bottom few rows of checkering are worn.

This gun has no LEA markings but I have seen this pattern of wear on many former police and security guard revolvers, and would guess it was carried by an officer or guard "back in the day."

I got it for a shooter because I like the balance of the 5" barrel and it is in really great shooting shape. Just worn enough that I won't feel guilty shooting it. Have found that .32 Long wadcutters kill small game dead as dead at pistol ranges, but my K-32 is getting a little too valuable to carry out in the baldies. Paid $372 out the door, which isn't too bad for Richifornia, given the sales tax and DROS fee.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
The stocks sound correct to me. Colt went to the checkered Walnut with Silver Medallions in about 1924. The wear pattern you describe sounds like a gun that was holstered and carried a lot (maybe not shot much?). I own a well used 6" barreled PP in .32 Colt NP that I enjoy shooting very much. You are correct in that the .32 Colt NP cartridge is a great "bunny buster." If I was lucky enough to own a K-32 it would never see the boonies. Your PP .32 in Colt NP will make a great trail gun. Good luck.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Colt75, my S&W is a 6" Model 16-2 in .32 H&R Magnum, not a "real" K-32. Even so, it is a very pricey gun nowadays, and a little heavy to carry anyway. The Colt is a better fit for my needs if it will shoot to the sights. If it won't I'll handload it to do so (most of the "adjustment" I've had to make to fixed sight revolvers was in elevation, not windage. Hope this is so with this one).

I handload the .32 S&W Long, and buy swaged full wadcutters, which have even more smack than the New Police bullets. Once I found out how well they work on small game (including coons and big fat woodchucks), I stopped buying .32 H&R Mags.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The 32 is a fun gun to shoot, and an under-rated cartridge, especially if you hand load for it. Here are a few of mine:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rat, I'd say you have the .32 covered! And maybe the market on .32s cornered, too.

Nice guns all, but that M&P in .32 Long really rings my chimes--you just don't see those every day. Or every decade.

Is your K-32 nickel or blue? Can't tell from the pic although the box looks like the ones they shipped nickel guns in for a while. Whatever finish, it's a jewel.

Super collection.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The 32 is a fun gun to shoot, and an under-rated cartridge, especially if you hand load for it. Here are a few of mine:

Swamprat, you have an awesome collection! If I owned your collection, I could toss my meager collection in the garbage, and never miss it.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Rat, I'd say you have the .32 covered! And maybe the market on .32s cornered, too.

Nice guns all, but that M&P in .32 Long really rings my chimes--you just don't see those every day. Or every decade.

Is your K-32 nickel or blue? Can't tell from the pic although the box looks like the ones they shipped nickel guns in for a while. Whatever finish, it's a jewel.

Super collection.
Mike,
The K32 is after market nickel and gold...K 32's were only produced in blue finish.

The 32 S&W M&P is a rare one. There were only 4,813 produced between Jan19th, 1948 and Feb 3, 1950. They were designated the "32 Military & Police". It was standard with a 4" bbl, but a very few were produced with a 2" and 5" bbls. Mine has a 5" bbl, so is even more rare!

Here is another unusual one... It is a 32 WCF M&P with an extra 32 S&W Long cylinder numbered to the gun, and an adjustable "Wondersight" rear sight:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like .32-20s too (rifles and hand guns)! Remember the old "FDL Wondersight" very well. It was a "no gunsmithing" adjustable sight. I had one on one of my New Services; it was marked "1917". Worked fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts