Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Police Positive .38 with a missing nut that goes on the end of the ejector rod. Where do I find such a thing? And are there different ones based on the model of the gun itself? This is round butt with a serial number
321xxx.

I want to eventually sell it as it is in exceptional condition. Will the addition of a new nut significantly alter its value?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I am trying to date your revolver by serial number...are you sure it is a Police Positive and not a Police Positive Special? The PP has a shorter frame and cylinder which would be chambered for the .38 New Police (Colt's version of .38 S&W). The PPS was chambered for .38 Special.

321XXX would be a PPS from 1925, I can't find a PP in that serial range. I'm also curious about the round butt; the round butt PP was called the Banker's Special and the round butt PPS was called the Detective Special and they were so marked on the barrel. So I'm thinking you have a DS/BS frame with a switched barrel, or a rare special order round butt frame.

A replaced ejector rod head should not affect your gun's value if it is correct for that era. I can post a pic of a 1925 PPS if that is what you have /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Can you post a pic for us??

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
it`s possible there is a letter prefix to that serial,and it`s a post 66 pps. some of those came with the extension stocks and were round butt.lacking a photo please describe the frt site, is it a true half round?? is the thumb latch checkered??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My error, it is a .38 special. Here are pictures. I did them quickly in artificial light and they are lousy, but you will get the idea. The finish on the frame of the gun is exceptionally good with a small holster wear mark at the edge of the muzzle.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/Matchshot/PPSView3.jpghttp://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/Matchshot/PPSside2.jpg
Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts