Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to at least one source, the basic Police Positive with a 2.5" barrel was only available in .32 NP. I'm looking at a supposed PP with a 2.5" barrel in .38 for sale and am wondering whether the source was wrong or whether the barrel has been cut down. I'm posting two pictures below and am hoping for some opinions from people here with more experience than me. And no, these aren't my photos, and I don't have access to the gun to take any. Original or cut? Thanks!

Revolver
Revolver

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
Looks like a cut barrel with a sight that has been put back on. The Police Positive .32 came with the 2 1/2" barrel and the Police Positive Special .38 was offered with the 2 1/2" barrel but it is a rear gun and almost never encountered. The gun in the photo does not look original.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Can you post some well lit, close up images showing the top of the Barrel?

Front Sight does appear to be 'Home Made' or re-formed from a stock/original shape.

Crane to Frame fit looks bad...there should not be a 'gap' like that.

Post some images also of the whole Revolver, different views, from fairly close up?

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
@thecoltguy can you please go look at my post about the detective special and see if you can help? I posted pics in the lounge.
Thank You
I am fairly certain that this gun has been modified. Colt did not offer the 2 1/2" barrel in the .38 Police Positive. The barrel looks like it has been cut from a longer barrel, probably a 4" and had the front sight re-installed.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I am not able to see the details I was hoping for, in viewing the Auction listing images.

But, I am confident this represents an old 'Cut Down' which someone did back when...it has been somewhat brutally re-Blued...and the Crane may also be bent a little.

So, this is not among the better examples, far as old 'Cut Downs' go, ( and many were fairly crude or brutally re-Blued ) even if it would still likely be fun to own and shoot and carry or whatever ( as long as the re-blue or other possible issues did not bother one too much ).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.