Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I know that you can fire British or equivalent 38/200 in the Webley mark iv, enfield and S&W contract revolvers for the UK but is it safe to fire the ammo in a colt police positive

sorry if this has been answered before but am curious to know

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
38/200 is the same as 38 S&W. The original 38/200 had a 200 gr lead bullet, the same as the police load in 38 S&W, but due to Geneva Convention rules it was changed to a 178 gr jacketed bullet. Short answer you can shoot it in your Police Positive.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
The problem is that manufacturers don't really know what they're talking about when they label something .38-200 British instead of .38 S&W. Some of the original military ammo was reportedly loaded to pressures up to 50% higher than the anemic .38 S&W originally intended for small-frame topbreaks. So that should probably not end up in a small-fame PP either.

But post-war loads are all over the map. Some modern manufacturers just stick a 200 grain bullet onto a standard .38 S&W charge and call that .38-200. You just never know.

Personally, to be on the safe side I'd just refrain from firing anything labeled .38-200 from anything other than a British (or WW II US) revolver made for than caliber.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew you could not shoot it in the small frame break tops but I did not know if the frame on the police positive was
strong enough or not

the 38/200 that I have fired were more powerful than the commercial 146 grain ammo that is mostly sold today

felt as strong as a 38 special

1 - 4 of 4 Posts