Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to replace the hammer stud, any tips? I have a replacement stud, but it appears to be narrower diameter than the original. I'll give it a try later this morning. In the meantime, does anyone have a source for this part? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,800 Posts
Gun Parts Corporation and Jack First are the prime sources, and I'd try Jack First, first, their parts are usually in better condition.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

Be aware, frame hammer and trigger studs require a special press and special support jigs fitted to each frame size.
DO NOT try to drive or push the studs out without the correct tooling, this will distort and ruin the frame.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I am familiar with both companies. I removed the broken stud with little force or effort using a drift punch. I fabricated a replacement of the same diameter from some tempered steel stock I had laying around. Cut it to proper length, polished smooth and installed/reassembled it all in about 15 minutes. Fired two cylinders full of wadcutters and she's working just fine. Guess I lucked out./forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,800 Posts
"Guess I lucked out"

You did.
Usually Colt frame pins are tight as Dick's hat band, and the side wall of the frame is softer and thinner than it looks.

Over the years, I saw a few that people drove out and the side walls of the frame were bulged and distorted.
You did luck out, THIS TIME, but I wouldn't press my luck again.
You can make your own press, support dies, and punches.

The press is a more or less standard bench press.
Support dies are just shaped, round anvils with holes to pass the pin, and are made of brass, aluminum, or hard plastic.
The punches are large diameter pins with reduced ends to fit the pin.
The "out" pins have concave ends to fit the outside of the pin.
The "in" pins are hollowed to fit over the pin shaft and bottom on the flange.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a Detective Special with this problem. First the pin came out on its own, got loose(I guess). I tried using some epoxy but it really didn't work. Figured since there was a corresponding hole in the sideplate, it wasn't going anywhere so reassembled and went with it. Years later it locked up. When I removed the sideplate and started removing the parts found that the pin had broken right next to the flange. All that was next was to "push" the remainder in the frame out with a punch and finger pressure (no force).
Then began the two year journey to find a replacement. Talk about an exercise in frustration. I don't know how many straight sided pins I received from various sources. Ultimately turns out it is numbered incorrectly (possibly by Colt). After some time on the phone with GPC I believe a correct one is on the way. They came up with it (they said) by searching the bins. Now I have to find someone qualified to install it. I envy you bellcharteroak in having the wherewithall to manufacture your own. I was near the point of believing a great(almost new) DS had been rendered as junk. I am curious to see if the replacement pin can be made to work or whether or not the hole in the frame has somehow become too large. Does anyone have a gunsmith they can recommend for a job like this? Have a merry and healthy holiday! CC

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Dr. D can correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears there are at least a couple different style hammer pins. All seem to have a reduced diameter end to fit the hole in the frame, with a resulting shoulder that seats against the frame when installed. The protruding portion of the pin is all the same diameter and the hole in the hammer and the hole in the safety lever appear to be the same. Then there is the (later ?) style that ColtCobra has where there is a flange that seats against the frame and the hole in the safety lever is larger to go over the flange while the hole in the hammer is smaller so that the side of the hammer bears on the flange rather than on the safety lever. It sounds like BellCharterOak had the first style. Am I correct or have I inhaled too much powdersmoke? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,800 Posts
ColtCobra
I recommend either Colt, or
Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters.
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412) 766-6100

A1A
It's been many years now since I had to work with frame pins much, but I seem to remember there were at LEAST two different types of pins.

Some Colt gunsmiths who find themselves out of frame pins, make their own just to save all the grief of trying to find the right type from the parts houses.
These minor changes can get to be a real rectal pain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts