Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I may not have my terms correct via the "1st Gen and 2nd Gen" but here's what I have.

A Colt Police Positive in .38 S&W with three bulged chambers. It is the older model (1st?) which has the removable ejector knob and the ejector star unscrews from the ejector rod. And I have already "done did" this. The grip frame is also the older slim/narrow version as well.

I have Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on Colt D/A revolvers. He explains that later version (2nd Gen?) cylinder rods did not have a "unscrewable" ejector head, nor did the ejector star unscrew as well.

I ordered a cylinder from Gun Parts Corp and it has a threaded ejector rod to accept the ejector rod knob, and it does accept mine from the original gun/rod. But...it has a solid, attached ejector star.

So, if I can get this to a qualified gunsmith, do I have a correct cylinder rod and ejector assembly that, along with the cylinder itself can be fitted to my older Police Positive?

Thanks for replys.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could not do that. The original ejector star unscrews from the ejector rod. But that still did not "free" the ejector rod from the cylinder and the crane. There is a spring assembly inside the "tube" of the crane that is attached to the ejector rod. I could not disassemble the ejector rod from the cylinder and crane assembly (I may not be using the correct terms, but I hope ya'll get the idea).

The new cylinder and ejector rod does not have a removable ejector star. So I had not clue as how to remove the new ejector and star from the new cylinder.

So a parts swap ain't working for me.

Kuhnhausen's book explains the difference between the former and later ejector rods but I was not sure of the directions as how to remove the two assemblies from their cylinders and crane.

I do have a gunsmith in the Phoenix area that might be knowledgeable on Police Positive(s) since he does work on Pythons. I will be contacting him soon and perhaps shipping it to him. I was going to have to ship it to a knowledgeable Colt Police Positive gunsmith anyhow since the cylinder will undoubtedly require a new timing set up....and hopefully not a new hand or bolt!

Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.