Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
were there different finishes available on the Police Positives? I just acquired one, serial number 268xx, in 32-20 with 4" barrel. Bore is perfect, lock-up is tight and cylinder ring is a ghost.
Now here's where it gets tricky. The finish looks to be a very soft nickle, almost satin, but smooth, if that makes any sense. There isn't a hint of blue anywhere on this gun. No rust, pitts or gouges. Roll marks don't show any signs of buffing.
It's got me baffled.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Sure would be nice to see a photo. Sounds like a revolver that has been refinished in some fashion, or polished out or else possibly had remaining finish chemically removed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, photo is a problem without a camera and the know how to do all that stuff. Finish is the same even under the grips. If it's been refinished, they used some kind of invisible blue, cuz there ain't any anywhere. And if it was stripped, wouldn't it likely rust? There's none of that either. I'm guessing it started as nickle, and has been rubbed to death, if that's possible.

I'm not concerned about finish as to value, because it's not leaving. Just curious is all.
And yes you guys are right, pics would be helpful, that's on my list.

·
Premium Member
9,517 Posts
It would be nearly impossible to "polish" off all of the blue finish on a blue gun from every crevice. A chemical remover will remove all blue and the gun could have been soaked in such remover. Proper treatment with preservatives will prevent rust on bare steel, just as it does on blued steel.

IF the gun was nickel originally, then the "soft" appearance could be the result of a soak in Hoppes. Hoppes will dull bright nickel if left in contact long enough.

Pictures are necessary for any further speculation.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a PP in NIckle finish in 32. They were made but less than the blued. Please post a pic b/c if it is too shinny or too dull, then I would be a bit concenrned. If it is really shinny, then I would expect it to be NOS, never fired, and in the oginal box because mine has been handled and it has handling marks and scratches that would be indicitive of its age and use. Too dull and you should see pitting and scratches that would be consistenmt with the original finish.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
If that early, I think it would have oiriginally had a 'in the white' Hammer sides, and, a Fire Blue Hammer top and Fire Blue Trigger, and, the rest Nickel...and, a refinish would not usually tend to observe or acheive those details.

Images would sure help! Borrow a camera from a buddy if need be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts