Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to nail down the identity of an old Colt revolver. It’s characteristics are:
Serial Number: 8XXX
Barrel length: 2.5 inches from muzzle to forcing cone
Markings on left side of barrel: Police Positive, .32 Police Ctg
Patent dates on top of barrel: 1884, 1905, 1926
Colt figure on left side of frame
Hard rubber grips
Cylinder length: 1.25 inches
Finish: Nickel

I can’t match this combination with a specific Colt model. Any insights would be appreciated.

Jules Lewis
[email protected]

·
Registered
909 Posts
Jules, we need some more information. The serial number doesn't jibe with the patent dates on the barrel. Please double check the number, as the 8000 range would fall in the New Police 1899 era. Does it say "Colt's New Police" around the pony on the left side of the frame? The earliest serial number for a 1926 .32 Police Positive would be 217000, so your barrel doesn't match your frame. Try removing the stocks and see if the serial number is scratched inside. HTH.

·
Registered
909 Posts
With a 1.25" cylinder, the frame is too small for a Detective Special.
Does it have the "positive safety" between the hammer and frame? If so, the frame would be a Police Positive, Pocket Positive, or Banker's Special (even though the serial doesn't make sense). If not, it might be a New Police or New Pocket.
The barrel is definitely 1926-WW2.
Hard rubber grips were discontinued ca.1923.
Is the cylinder release squared or rounded?
Does the ejector rod head have a hole or is it checkered?
Anybody else have an idea?
I'd love to see a picture. Whatever it is, it sounds like a cool snubbie.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Probably a parts gun somebody assembled from existing parts. Serial number doesn't sound right for a PP and the barrel info indicates it came from a PP.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 02-09-2005).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why its a mystery to me. The serial number on the frame and crane is clearly only 4 digits. The last patent date on the barrel is 1926. There is no text around the pony on the left side.

I got the Colt from a local dealer who bought from a "walk-in." It came in a Colt brown box labeled .32 Detective Special. The only problem is that the gun doesn't match the specific characteristics of a Detective Special.

Maybe the revolver was rebarreled sometime in its past.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts