Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently acquired .38 Police Positive has some markings I wonder if anyone could shed some light on. On the left side of the frame at the top of the trigger guard is a small inverted triangle with what looks like a combination of the letters V and P on the inside. On the frame at the rear of the trigger guard is the numeral 3 Any idea what these represent?

The serial # is 32764 with an F below that. Also, on the left frame is the stamped colt logo but this is over a letter C. Other Police Positives I looked at before this purchase did not have the fancy C with the stamped logo. Whats the difference?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Mark: Welcome to the Forum. The V shaped marked on the front of the left side of the triggerguard is the Verified Proof (VP)marking applied by Colt at the factory to signify that the gun was properly proofed. The number at the rear of the guard is the assembler's number so his work could be tracked. I am not sure about the other markings you asked about and suggest posting a pic or 2 which might help in the diagnosis of them. HTH.
Charlie Flick

[This message has been edited by ordnanceguy (edited 07-28-2004).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This revolver has Police Positive .38 stamped on the side of the barrel; not special. On the top of the barrel the last patent date is July 4, 1905. Must be an oldie. I'll post a pic when I figure out how.

Mark

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
Your Police Positive was made in 1909.
The PP was introduced in 1906.

The serial numbers for 1909 started out at 27000, and started at 33000 in 1910.
Based on that, I'd say yours was made late 1909.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
We need to narrow down the exact model for production date.

Do you have a Police Positive, or a Police Positive Special?

In either case a 32000 range gun would be from the 1909-1911 years.

During the early 1900's Colt used the Colt "C" on the side plate of revolvers.

At some point early on, this was discontinued, and only the Colt Pony was stamped on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts