Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought one of these today, .38 Sp. The piece looks like only a few rounds through it, very light cylinder line and no handling marks. When were these made. I am new to Colt's so I don't know much about them. I also have have a King Cobra.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, we must be on the same wavelength in regards to this type of revolver. Someone I work with bought a Police Positive MK V back in 1996 for $250. He is in the same boat as you and does not know anything about the revolver. His serial number is RD1627. Maybe someone can let the both of us know a little history on this revolver and when they were made.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well, Sirs - Sage and bigjohn, I'm no help to you. Both names are familiar Colt-ese, "Police Positive," and, "Mark V." The PP is a small, D frame Colt - like a Detective Special with a longer barrel and the Mark V I've heard of with Troopers. But the two together - I have no clue. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Colt did bring the PP back into production in 1994. It was the PPS with the "S" dropped and MkV added. It was a 4 incher with a full shroud in either blue or nickel. They were dropped in 1995 when the D-frame was upgraded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Majic, that is about all I know about them. The guy I bought it from told me keep it as a collector and not to shoot it. It caught my eye and seems like a nice gun though.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
bigjohn

Sorry, can't help you on the serial number as nothing has been published past 1985.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks diamondback. The owner of the gun also tried to research it and was unable to find out much about it. I guess he will have to get ahold of Colt if he wants more info.

·
Registered
794 Posts
majic provided the dates of production for you and he is correct. The MKV came in a blue plastic molded case with an outer card board box. It is rated to handle +P loads. If in original condition they would have the rubber compact grips with a silver medallion like those of the later Detective Special and SFVI.

As far as not shooting it because it's a collector piece, well that is very subjective. Name one Colt revolver that doesn't fit that description. The PP MKV being a two year only production does not mean instant collectability, high desirability, or high appreciation rate.

All it means is there were not a lot made. In another 50 years that may mean something. I would venture to say the PP MKV is no more collectable than the 1 year only production SFVI, or even a DSII.

It is a nice gun to help round out a D-frame collection. It is an extremely attractive gun. But a museum piece it ain't!

BTW majic, I've never seen one in nickel. I know the books says so but the nickel PP MKV is like Bigfoot: we've all heard about one but who's really seen one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WS23, Thanks for the info. Mine is in the blue plastic case and has the rubber grips.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I bet a nickeled one would be something to see. They would probably be the rarest of them all with probably just a few hundred made.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
For some reason.the really limited production & "oddball" post world war 2 Colts,dont seem to bring the huge dollars that the S&Ws that are "rare" from the same time period. Witness,the Courier,Marshall,and certain calibers & bbl. lengths of the Cobra to name a few. I know Colt prices are climbing,but it seems that collectors havent discovered some of the post war rarities. The model that Ive seen "take off" in prices is the New Service!
As SAAs got beyond the reach of the average collector,the large size & variety of calibers,variations etc.combined with many military/police marked,saw prices escalate. Also,many N.S.were "converted" & altered in the 50s & 60s,making originals more scarce. Bud

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Lonewolf I guess you haven't seen the prices of the Boa's lately, or the Border Patrol, or the Aircrewman Special. These are just service pistols with prices climbing out of sight.
But it is good to see someone else commenting on the price of S&W vs Colts. From a lot of Smith fans you would think you have to mortgage your house to afford a Colt. They tend to ignore that the prices of older Smiths are rising rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Majic. I didnt include the "Border Patrol" or the Aircrewman as they are virtually non-existant for an average collector(I mean the ORIGINAL Border Patrol,not the later Troopers,post 69,with the name on them). The Aircrewman has also been "counterfitted",as has the Border Patrol,so they can be risky. Just recently,the Army Special/Official Police have started to climb in price,but may be too high,even for mint examples. One dealer told me that Colt "is nearly out of business",at least in his mind,and that this will drive prices up. I dunno? Just wish the value of my Cobra .22 & .32 Courier would climb like some of the smaller S&W "rarities. But a look at the activity on this forum,versus the S&W forum MAY show that far more collectors deal in S&Ws. Colt collectors tend to specialize in the SAAs & 1911s,BOTH of which have been driven up tremendously in value. Bud

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I don't think it's fair to omit certain items just because you can't obtain one. That is what makes them rare. It means that there are limited numbers of them and the owners are holding on to them. When they are released to the market they will have a price tag reflecting the limited availability.
The average collector can't set his/her sights on the rarest models, but instead focus on select production models.You can collect Pythons, Diamondbacks, DS, PP, PPS, OMM, OP, NS, or any of the others. I'm working on a theme. I'm trying to collect a Snake family of all the revolvers named for serpents. I may never succeed, but still doesn't stop my enjoyment. To me a collection has nothing to do with the future price of an item, but your enjoyment of owning such pieces. You can collect just about anything as long as it pleases you.
As to fakes, just look at the classified sections of the various forums and you will see activity of sale of parts, boxes, manuals, and tools of people assembling handguns. Some will end up with a desirable model complete with box, papers, and tools from a totaly different commonly configured handgun. One day, even though it's not planned that way, in the future these can end up on the market for a premium price to an unsuspecting buyer.
We may not be the most active site on the net, but a lot of people here do know their Colts.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I like what Majic said. I take the same approach with my Diamondbacks, the pleasure is in the seeking and enjoyment of owning what I have so far and I am not going to knock myself out or bankrupt myself just because I can't get a certain variation right away, right now. If I can control my obssession, if frees up time to look at other pieces such as Smiths, concealed carry pieces and such. Once the collection is complete, the journey is over and to me the journey is the best part of the game.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Majic,
Good luck on your quest for the snakes. It took me several years to collect NIB specimens of all the snakes, and as Diamonback68 says, It's actually a bit sad when the journey ends with the last one, in my case, the Boa. Thankfully, there are all kinds of other elusive Colts to pursue, so there is always another path to follow.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That's the grand part in collecting. The path goes in whatever direction you wish it to go. You can stop it whenever you please, or change directions with it. You are the sole controlling factor and you should enjoy what you are doing or what's the purpose in doing it. If you look at it soley as an investment, it becomes a job and not a hobby because you are seeking finacial gains instead of pleasure.

I'm sorry folks for getting off thread here and I'm getting off this soap box now.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 02-03-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Exactly what's mysterious about it to you Sage? If you need the DOB you will have to call Colt as there is no printed reference on the newer models.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts