Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-

-Thought I would post a few pics of some Police Positives I picked up recently. In my opinion, pre-war Police Positives are some of the most under-valued Colts on the market.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice pair there! Saw one at the Cincinnati Bill Goodman show but didn't check the price. Didn't look as nice as yours. Congrats.

·
Registered
240 Posts
How hard are these to locate in 32 NP with a six inch barrel? Any idea what such a shooter would go for?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Your absolutely right ! Besides the pre war "D" frames are my favorite revolvers, reliable and concealable.... Henri

·
Registered
47 Posts
The original post is less than a year old, but the "under-valued" nature of the older Colt DAs is no longer true. Prices have risen dramatically since then, and it's now very difficult to find them in collectible condition at all, and the prices are no longer in the reasonable range.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
There's still a lot of Police Positives languishing on tables at the guns shows in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that can be had for little cash outlay. I think they represent good values.

I particularly like the Police Positives with the hard rubber grips. The Police Positive is a favorite Colt DA of mine, just behind the New Service.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Beautiful Police Positives! I started out with OPs, but have been bitten by the D-frame bug also! To be totally honest, it was coltlarry's photo that got me started with D frames the first time I saw it! I'm up to 3 PPs, a DS, and a Pocket Positive!
Here's a 6" 1923 Police Positive Special 1st Issue in .38 special:

A 1964 Police Positive Special 3rd Issue in .38 special with an odd 5" barrel:

And a 1926 4" Police Positive 1st Issue .32 with the later wood stocks (I got a better digital camera by the time this was taken!):

I don't have pics of the Pocket Positive or the DS yet!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi N Frame just saw your pictures.I have one PP 4 inches bbl cal .32 also but its grips are like the ones on your 6 incher.I wonder what your .32 has marked on the left side of the barrel? Mine has a letter *B* before the 32 and I posted in this forum a question about this, but had no definitive answer.Do you know what that B stands for?
Regards , Raimundo.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Raimundo,
The left side of the barrel of my .32 reads "Police Positive .32 Police Ctg." Colt called the .32 S&W Long the .32 Colt New Police, and stamped ".32 Police" on the guns because there was a fierce rivalry between Colt and S&W at the time and Colt refused to stamp the words "S&W" on their guns. There is no letter B before the .32 on my barrel. I have never heard of such a marking. I have no idea what that could stand for. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
The barrel on mine is marked identically to yours. on the frame inside the crane opening directly below the serial is another stamping. It is quite light but very distinct D 1.
Anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
94 Posts
As of today I am still trying to make out the meaning of the * B * letter before the actual caliber designation.On the barrel top it reads:COLT´s PT.FA MFG CO HARTFORD CT USA
PAT`D AUG 5 1884 JULY 4 1905 OCT 5 1926.
On the crane there are the letter *D*( this is for the *D* frame used)
The serial # is 237312 and what is puzzling me ,is the
*B* letter written after the Police Positive marking( the same *P* for both words and the *B* after it and before the .32.
Regards to all, Raimundo.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The "B" indicates a second-grade gun which Colt assembled from parts which were not first rate. Rather than scrap the parts, they were so marked as 2nds and primarily shipped to Latin America. Hence yours appearing in Brazil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts