Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about a pistol I inherited from my grandpa. It's a nickel plated 38 special with pearl handles. Four inch barrel. In good shape but with a little rust spots on the finish.

Inscription on the barrel says "Colt's P T.F.A. Mfg. Co. Hartford, CT USA Pat'd Aug. 5 1884 June 5 1900 July 4 1905."

Sure would appreciate any info anybody can give me about this gun.

Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
Post the serial number with the last two digits as "X's" (123XX) and we can tell you when it was made, and more info.

Give as much info on markings as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SN on that Colt is 302XX. Also Police Positive 38 Special is on the side of the barrel.

Thanks for helping with this.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Your PP was made in 1910. The barrel marking tells you what it is. They were made from 1905 as the patent date indicates right until about 1978 when they were dicontinued IIRC. One in real nice shape ought to be worth about $300 give or take.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You have a first issue Police Positive Special revolver built in 1910. As you know it is chambered in .38 special. It's built on the D-frame which was enlarged from the previous Police Positive to allow for the new chambering of the .38 Special. If it indeed is in good shape, keep the +p loads away from it and it should be a fine shooter. The fixed sights should regulate with a 158 gr. load as that was the standard back then.
Sounds like a nice piece of history, do you have any pics of it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts