Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 32 20 W.C.F. Police Positive pistol.My question is about the ammo I use.I think it's a caliber that no one does anymore,and if so what brass,powder loads,and bullets would I use for it?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
chevis; 32/20 ammo is still made,but it is expensive,IMO,and the W W and Rem. loads(100 gr. lead or jsps)are a compromise for rifles and revolvers-and aren't the "best" for either one.

I guess that some of the smaller firms are making 32/20's now in smokeless and black for "Cowboy Shooters".

A good load is 4.5 Unique,regular small primers,any brass,but old baloon heads,and a 115 gr. lead sized .312. This will equate the over 900 fps that factory loads "used" to have. The Police Positive Spec. will handle this,and unless the front sight has been filed,these guns would shoot to center of target using a 6 oclock hold with the 115 gr. bullet at this velocity.

If you decide to handload,give us a shout,and I will give you the "skinny" on this great old round,that can be a bitch to load for,but thanks to Ken Waters "Pet Loads",some of us know have the "know how" to prevent the vertical stringing(it is uniform case length and uniform crimp) that frustrated many reloaders.

There are also more advanced loads than Unique,using 4756 powder.

good Luck!

Bud

·
Administrator
7,303 Posts
Missed it by that much !
1 minute /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good news . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

32-20 Winchester is still in production . Remington , Winchester , Ultramax and probably a few others make it . Ultramax is usually under $30 for 50 rds .

Of course relaoding supplies are available from most companies that make dies , bullets , etc .

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep,,I'm ready to reload..I do have about 8oz's of 4759 not the 4756,,but I like Unique powder and also HP-38 for some reason.So I need 115 lead bullets sized to .312,correct?
I guess my buddy I get a lot of bullets from can help me out on that...round semi-wad cutters or what???
I can wait for your reply to order.

Oh yeah,,what dies should I order?Can I just get a set of Lee's?I know I wont be able to get any carbide dies,,I done checked and Lee is about the cheapest NEW dies

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bullets in 115 gr. are traditionally round nose flat points(no "points" for those tubular magazines!!).

Lee is a good die,and the key is to trim the cases to identical OAL,so crimp will be uniform in ALL the crimp grooves. IF NOT done velocity can vary up to 100 fps. round to round;result;vertical stringing of the group.

Bud

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok,,I seen some bullets like that on Midway.They have the Lee die set but the crimp die is seperate.I'll put in my order for die set,crimp die,and 500 lead bullets and get back with you when I get the stuff in.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Georgia Arms makes some good "cowboy" loads for the .32-20. The caliber and its guns are among my favorites. I have S&Ws, Colts, a Marlin, a Cimarron SA small frame, and a Martini-Henry, in .32-20. You will also find guns marked .32 WCF, for Winchester Center (or Central) Fire.

I think a feller named Skeeter Skelton influenced me a tad when it comes to this caliber. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I was going to chime in here but Lonewolf has pretty much covered it. I'll just add,the .32.20 is a thin walled case and can be easily crushed if you get too enthusiastic with the press ram. Lubrication is a must and bullet seating is a "must be careful" process. If you try to seat a canted bullet it can hang up on the case mouth and crush it. A little care and attention to detail and you'll have great ammo for a great little gun. Relatively powerful too if you do a little comparisons of ballistic charts, you might be surprised at how well this old timer stacks up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts