Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS has a pretty damn old 38spc police positve $250 out the door. Its got some wear and very shallow pitting on one side. Orig grips are worn, im going to sneak in there tomm during shift and snap a few pics for u fellas. It locks up tight and hasnt been mistreated just an old colt revolver. Any oppinions before i can get pics?? Just figure a price of 250 its gotta be worth more than that given its current state

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Unless it has been run over by a truck it is probably worth the $250. It would be a Police Positive Special if it is chambered for the .38 Special. A Police Positive would be the .38 Colt NP (same as .38 S&W).

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Police positive specials were pre-war with hard rubber black stocks, then pre-war with wood stocks and improved sights. Post war with ramped sights. Post war with short grip frame (1966 and later). Then the 1977-79 model with heavy barrel and the last of the breed, the 1994-95 MKV. Which one is it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it means anything... About a month back I bought a .32 Colt New Police chambered Police Positive that dates from 1910. I'm fairly certain that I way over paid (or as some say "bought it too early LOL) for it, but that really does not bother me anymore. I'm really glad I snagged this little revolver and am growing to love it. Then again, once I get to shoot it, it might not be all that great, but I'm glad I have it. If that "advice" means anything...
Mark

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Police positive specials were pre-war with hard rubber black stocks, then pre-war with wood stocks and improved sights. Post war with ramped sights. Post war with short grip frame (1966 and later). Then the 1977-79 model with heavy barrel and the last of the breed, the 1994-95 MKV. Which one is it?
Who cares, Uto? I say "Grab it, quick!" You can't go wrong at $250. Last year I bought a chopped barrel .38 PPS with filed down front sight for $200. My gunsmith and many forum members here say I did well. Grab it and give us the pix when you can.

Used Colt Detective Special Help?

Reactions: TomcatPC

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, for what it's worth, $250 is a less than what I paid for mine and it is not chambered in .38 Colt Special either.
Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you happen to get the serial number? You can look it up on Proofhouse.com to get a manufacturing date. I have a 1921 PP Special with a five inch barrell that I can't seem to part with. It looks like a high quality re blue was done many years ago. I doubt I would sell it for $250 or even $300 even if the market says less. Who cares? I like those old Colts no matter what. Buy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts