Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 32-20 and need to find parts. There were 750,000 of these guns made (total) and the parts are as rare as hen's teeth. Is there any way to cross reference part numbers with different models and calibers? I'm sure Colt used the same parts for different models of the the "same" Gun. I'm not a gunsmith and I understand I will have to get one involved when I get ready to have this gun repaired. But, what I'm looking for is what guns of this family use the same parts as the gun I'm working on and how do I cross reference them. Also, there were three generations of this gun. Is there a way to cross reference the parts numbers from the different generations? For example I saw a NOS 2nd gen cylinder for the 32-20. Is that the same as the one on the gun I'm working?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Depending on which or what parts you need; google "Jack First" and then use your telephone to call. They make a lot of exact reproduction parts for PPS Colts. I have received springs and such from them. Not cheap but the quality is first rate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked with Jack First. Bought his catalog. Not much help. The don't have part numbers for the 32-20 listed. Sent him a letter, waiting to hear back. They do have part numbers for some guns of the same family. Which guns in the family can I pull part numbers from? I suppose I should have put "Silenced 32-20" in the title so more people will have a look at the post. I don't know what it is with the 32-20, but people are not interested in them.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on the Colt double action revolvers explains the difference in some parts of certain issues of models. Maybe you can find the information you need there. Good luck with your project.

Tom

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
This firearm was not well taken care of. The ratchet, hand and bolt would be a good start.

No one has 'Part Numbers' for these kinds of parts.

It just goes by what the part is..."Hand", "Bolt", etc...

You will likely have the best luck just looking on ebay...I see such parts there all the time...sometimes listed as being Colt, sometimes seller does not know what they go to.

Parts would be the same for the Police Positive in any chambering, and also the same as the Police Positive Special in any chambering.

I think the Ratchet Teeth changed somewhere toward the end, but, I do not know just when.

Changing out a Ratchet is a little more complicated in a Colt than on an S & W, as the Colt had the end of the Ejector Rod Threads 'Peened' in to the Ratcher Star, and when one forces this apart one tends to loose a few Threads.

You might be better off just finding a replacement Cylinder and Crane sub assembly which is still together, and which has a good Ratchet, and just installing those.

Are you into the Revolver very deep?

If not, easiest of all, would be just to buy one in good condition, where all you have to do is Oil it up and go Shooting with it, and then sell this one on Gunbroker, explaining it has issues and needs work and so on.

It may well sell for close to half what a decent low miliage, good mechanicals, low Blue one would sell for.

At which point, you are on your way to the Range "like right now", for some shooting enjoyments, instead of spending dozens of Hours laboring over tedious and difficult challenges with a Gun which all tolled, may actually be pretty well worn out all though the Mechanism.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
I cannot help but think that the only parts that are inherently different would be the barrel and cylinder, all other parts are more than likely the same.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I cannot help but think that the only parts that are inherently different would be the barrel and cylinder, all other parts are more than likely the same.
I believe so...yes...

That and, excluding the ones in .22 Rimfire which would have a different Hammer Nose.

So, all the PP ( Bakers Special, Targer Models of the PP in anything larger than .22 RF, and whatever else ) and PPS size Frames, ( Cobra, Detective Special, PPS Target Models, etc ) their internals ought to be the same likely up through the early to mid 1960s or so, or, till whenever they changed the shape of the Ratchet anyway.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
My mention above about just selling the worn out one and putting that dough toward a good mechanicals "Shooter" one...

I myself have repaired several old Colt DA Swing Out Cylinder Revolvers where things were basically all very good, but, for someone having been in there and messed up the Hand or Bolt or Rebound Lever, or, where for some reason a Hand was no longer making the grade, but, Ratchet Teeth were still excellent...etc.

Whole different Ballgame from where one is looking at several things being worn out, or by that point, looking at the whole mechanism being more or less worn out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Selling it is not a option. The gun was owned by my grandfather. My father can never remembers my grandfather not owning it. I will own it when my Dad passes and I would like to be able to restore it to what it was in 1915. I'm patient and can wait for the parts to show up. I did get an answer for Jack First and some of the parts are available. The ratchet, however, is not one of them. Does anyone know what year they changed the shape? I may end up buying a gun just for the parts and I may not even need all of those parts I listed. I may just need a good colt gunsmith, which I think I have found. The information everyone has provided is priceless.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
The ratchet should be different for a 32-20 than a 38 special as the base diameter is different. I do have a 32-20 police positive special and a 38 special police positive special and the ratchet is fatter on the 32-20 (because the base of the case is smaller than the 38 special). It will take some work finding the parts but as others have said, you may find a already fitted cylinder with the ratchet from some gunsmith that change calibers on one of these. good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
If you don't know what it takes to fix it, you should probably have one of the better gunsmiths that works on old Colts have a look. I remember having a loose Police positive special pre-war 38 special that functioned OK but was a little loose. After reading the shop manual, it only took a light downward strike to the cylinder when it was open with a soft mallet to make it perfectly tight again. No parts needed.
If you can post pictures here and tell us what the gun does and doesn't do, we may be able to diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Selling it is not a option. The gun was owned by my grandfather. My father can never remembers my grandfather not owning it. I will own it when my Dad passes and I would like to be able to restore it to what it was in 1915. I'm patient and can wait for the parts to show up. I did get an answer for Jack First and some of the parts are available. The ratchet, however, is not one of them. Does anyone know what year they changed the shape? I may end up buying a gun just for the parts and I may not even need all of those parts I listed. I may just need a good colt gunsmith, which I think I have found. The information everyone has provided is priceless.

Ahhhh...okay...

Post some images so we can see the whole Revolver.

"ebay" is likely your best bet for parts, or, for an intact good condition Cylinder with Enector Rod and Ratchet all ready to go.

Various sellers there often list "Parts Guns" which have had the parts removed and the Frame cut up.

Gunbroker, similarly...

Find one of those where it did not have much miliage on it, and you have your 'Kit' for replacing ( if with some fitting maybe ) everything which moves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts