Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police Positive Special 38 4\"

Hi, Know this is a bad question but could anyone date my new baby?
S/N is 530277. Found it collecting dust. Blueing is 100%, Original Black Rubber Colt grips, Perfect bore. Seems to have been a Night stand Revolver because it shows absolutly no signs of being fired or handled for that matter but she is a beauty.
The finish is better than my Trooper or Python.
Marked for 38 Special CTG. Can I shoot her with moderate/factory 38 loads?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Police Positive Special 38 4\"

That fine old PPS was made in 1949, so I'm not surpised about the nice finish.
Standard factory 38s would be just fine, but I wouldn't use any +P if I were you.
JMHO

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you very much!
I wouldn never consider +P's.

I have to admit, I had a S&W model 36 NIB and the Colt on the counter and bit every fingernail down to the nub.
I just couldn't pass on the Colt simply because of the finish. There isn't a tool mark visible accept on the front of the cylinder and you have to look darn hard to see that.
Hope she shoots as pretty as she looks.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Casper,you did say BLACK hard rubber stocks didnt you??I would take them off & see if the serial number,or some digits from it are marked on one of the underside.Please describe what they look like.These same "very outdated" for a 1949 gun with the serial # Thanks,Bud

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Bud,
I had the "Stocks" off last night to clean her up.

Neither have any marking at all on the back.

They are well checkered and there is a Rampant Colt raised just a little above the checkering where you would normally expect to find one. Not a medalion but stamped or molded with the checkering when they were made. I'll look again to see if I missed anything but that's what I recollect.

Are they odd?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Casper, a 1949 gun should have the "Coltwood" stocks that weve been having "discussions" about on the forum,and should be a reddish brown in color,and marked with the checkering & the rampart colt in the circle.The really old Police Positive Specials,first came out,around 1908,with black hard rubber stocks,but with different markings. Then around 1926,Colt went to wood,checkered with a silver medallion. Then to further confuse us,they made the frame wider from front to back,around 1930,or the same size you have. I had a 1928 vintage PPS,with a rare 3" barrel,that I got from a retired Yardmasters widow,and even with a grip adapter,the smaller grip made it tough to shoot,with standard loads. I kept it as a back up car piece,until a collector convinced me it would be better in his collection,by swapping me even up for a .45 Colt New Service in great shape. The grip sizes of the Police Positive series are a nightmare,with all the changes. Colt even made it more difficult,going to the "short butt" with the bottom filler in some,then most models in the 1950s and 1960s. Add round butt as an option,and you see what I mean. But all this said,Colt was never one to "throw away parts",so who knows,and maybe the finisher didnt inscribe the # on the back of the stocks.Should be a color photo on the site here under the "Colt Commando" or "O.Police" by RM Vivas. Bud

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

All right now you've got me. Grip adapter? Looked at some from t-grips for a Smith Model 60 and was wondering if ...
This little colt needs a litle more meat for me to hang on to. If I curl my fingers just right, I can surround the whole stock and still have room for the Smith.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Watch closely if you get a Tyler-T for the PPS. They made 2 of them for the different D-frames.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts