Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What exactly do I have? I went and tried to find the year for it the serial number is 9727xx there is no D in front of it. It say's police positive special 38 special ctg on the side.
My dad bought it used back in the early 70's. It still had the sticker on it from Leonards Department store for $93.50. I know he never shot it but I am not sure of the original owner. Thanks in advance for any info on it. IMG_0102.jpg IMG_0105.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info I tried to find that serial number without a D in front of it. So it is a 1968.
Without starting another thread any estimates on what it is worth? And will taking it out and shooting it hurt it's value any?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Moss99, welcome to Coltforum, and thanks for showing us your Colt.

The Police Positive Special is a Colt D-frame revolver, rather undervalued by collectors, but making a comeback, IMHO.

They are really good shooters, terrific carry pieces and great examples of Colt's fine workmanship. They are one of my favorite Colts.

It looks like yours has a little bluing loss on the tip of the barrel ... or is that just the light reflecting off it? If there is ANY bluing loss or wear at all, in my opinion, firing it does not reduce its value at all, so long as you clean it really well afterwards. I prefer Eezox, followed by Renaissance Wax (run some searches for the techniques), and I like to use Murphy's Oil Soap, then Pledge Rejuvenating Polish on the wooden stocks, but any fine wood care products will be good for the stocks. The wooden stocks are the originals and are very attractive (to me), not the ugly (to me) stocks that are currently installed on the gun.

I may be in the minority on this issue, but I also think that it does not reduce the value of a LNIB Colt to fire it, run a couple boxes of ammo through it, so long as you clean it really well and do not do anything like drop it or tack up "WANTED" posters with the butt of the gun. That is because even the experts cannot tell the difference between an unfired [outside the factory] and a fired-a-few-times Colt. Colt test-fires all of its guns before they leave the factory.

If you put it in a leather holster, you pretty much guarantee wear on the bluing. Leather holsters are hard on blued guns; they are tanned with acids that do harm to the finish of the gun, and leather attracts moisture - which then rusts your fine Colt.

The box, which appears to be in excellent condition, and, if you have them, the original papers add some value.

The most recent Blue Book of Gun Values (just one guide, not the be-all and end-all of pricing) claims the revolver in 100% condition is worth $550. Sounds about right. You do not find many in 100% perfect new condition.

Since this gun has been in your family a long time, since new, I suggest that you treat is as a family heriloom. Use it as you wish, clean it well after every use, enjoy it, and be safe. When the time comes, pass it down to an interested member of the next generation in your family (your first-born?) with the request (that you cannot enforce) that the recipient keep it, never sell it, and eventually pass it down through the generations in your family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the info. He kept in that holster with a towel wrapped around it. It traveled with him on long trips in the car. It had been setting in that holster for 40 years or so. I guess it looks good considering that.
I don't plan on selling it but just wanted to know what it was. The D thing kept throwing me on my research with the serial number.
Somebody recommended this site and they were correct about finding answers here.
I have enjoyed perusing this web site looking at the older Colt's.
i agree about the grips but that is what my Dad liked so I think I will leave them for now.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a 1949 police positive special w/serial # 517xxx and it has no "D" prefix. I have yet to see a PPS with a "D" prefix. What year did they start using the prefix???

Thanks

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
That is a fine little revolver. Mine is a liitle older and not as nice condition. You will get a ton of enjoyment outa that thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the serial number chart looks like 1968 was supposed to be the first year. Mine is a 1968 model and it does not have the D prefix but the charts said it should.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have several PP's and they are one of my favorites. You can still get them in their original boxes, SN matching, for reasonable prices. If you stick to the original boxes and 95-98% bluing/ condition, then you are likely looking at a sleeper. This is my opinion only, since everyone runs after the Pythons and Anacondas, yet it only makes sense that the older Colts in excellent condition in their original boxes, will move up in value on the coat tails of the more popular models. I buy as many as I can since they are in the $500 + range and I stick to the 1st issue. You have to decide what you favor and then go after it. Please keep in mind condition is the #1 factor when buying any firearm. Best of luck to you...............:cool:

FYI

Newer

Nice 38 sp

Rare .22 calber VGC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts