Colt Forum banner

Police Positive Special .38 Special

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  paglazier 
#1 ·
So, I just purchased this revolver from a local gun shop. I thought it would be a nice project gun. Unfortunately I only have the one picture. I live in Maryland so, I have to wait 7 days before I can take possession. The serial number is 697392. From the research I've done, this gun was produced in 1957. The grips on this obviously aren't the originals. I know they changed from a square butt to round butt grip around that time. My question for the group is, does anyone know what the original grips for this gun look like? Does anyone have a picture of this model with the original grips.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to another denizen of the People's Republic of Maryland!

#9 ·
In 1957 Colt was using the old original full grip frame and grips.
In 1966 all "D" frame models were changed to a stubby grip frame, with most models having grips that overlapped on the bottom as shown in Paglazier's picture.

Your '57 Police Positive Special would have the rounded butt, full length grip frame.
The correct grips would be checkered walnut with silver medallions.
The same grips were used on the same era Detective Special and Cobra.
Here's the correct grips:

View attachment 116220

Thanks to you both! I learn something new every day on this forum.

#8 ·
In 1957 Colt was using the old original full grip frame and grips.
In 1966 all "D" frame models were changed to a stubby grip frame, with most models having grips that overlapped on the bottom as shown in Paglazier's picture.

Your '57 Police Positive Special would have the rounded butt, full length grip frame.
The correct grips would be checkered walnut with silver medallions.
The same grips were used on the same era Detective Special and Cobra.
Here's the correct grips:

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Product

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.