Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Police Positive Special for a good price on Gunnroker that is having a double action firing issue. It fires perfectly in single action, but gets light hammer strikes when firing double action.

I spoke with a gunsmith friend about it. He said that without looking at it, it sounds like a spring issue, and that if I bring it to him he can take care of it. I got it for a decent price and it’s in fairly good condition, so I don’t mind putting a little money into it.

While he has it, I want to start looking for the correct grips for it, and maybe a set of nice looking ones.

Per Colt’s website, it dates to ‘63 or ‘67. Can someone point me towards what grips it would have come with?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
Which one is it, 1963 or 1967? While they were both round butt checkered wood stocks, guns made in 1966 or later, used the short grip frame stocks. If you send a pic with the pachmayr grips off, we can tell. If 66 or later, it could have been shipped with the square butt stocks seen on the 2 1/2” diamondback as well but these appear much less.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know which year. I put the serial number in on Colt’s website, and it said that it could be either a ‘64 or a ‘67.

I will pull the grip off and get a pic.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
It's a '67. The clue is the hammer with a hollow rivet for the firing pin. From roughly '66-'68 or so Colt switched from the solid rivet to a hollow type apparently as a cost saver but the feedback from Colt buyers must have been decidedly negative.

Reactions: 73shovel

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,609 Posts
Hopefully there will be more info posted, but the grips it shipped with would "Probably" (Note the qualifier) be the standard round butt grips.
These overlap on the bottom of the grip to give a more hand filling feel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts