Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a Police Positive Special 32-20 mfg. in 1924. It is in good shape, nice and tight....except for one little problem. The barrel (5 1/2?) is bulged and split right behind the front sight. I'm just wonderin' where I can find a barrel and whether or not it's worth the money to replace (gunsmith and all). Will any 32 barrel fit or does it absolutely have to be a 32WCF? It was a great shooter until the evil brother-in-law got a hold of it...

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
I believe the barrels were either 4, 5 or 6 in measured from the front of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. You may have enough left over after cutting the bad area off to mill out a groove for the front sight and re-install on a shorter barrel. So you may be able to make a 6 in. barrel into a good looking 4 in. barrel. Barrels do show up on ebay and try numrich also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that too, but I had 2 different smithies decline. They couldn't tell how far back the stress crack went. I'll keep looking for a good smith in my area and, yeah, I've tried numrich and ebay. and gunbroker. and guns america....I did find a couple but it looked like they had been buried for years. I'll keep lookin' there too, ya jus' never know. I found one and I believe it was a .32 CTG. It looked right but hadn't heard of the CTG? I knew the length wouldn't matter but I wasn't too sure about different types. Army special vs detective special vs police special etc. anyways appreciate the help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, Duh! I just wasn't sure about the 20 in 32-20. I know it denotes the longer more powerful shell, but not sure if this affects the barrels in any way. Don't want a repeat split...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, the Tard shouldn't be in the same county as a firearm...Let me see if I can get some pics up. Gotta gun show coming up this weekend so maybe I'll look for a barrel or see if someone is interested in it as is. Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Antique tool Connecting rod

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
From his description, squib. Tried to clear the barrel with the next round I'm assuming. Let's just say we're not real communicative... really does piss me off.
I had an old box of ammo from the fifties and about 3 boxes of new stuff. Guess which box he tried?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The '20' in .32-20, was how many Grains of 3f Black Powder, the original Cartridge designation called for.

For some reason, it seems that many .32-20 Revolvers ended up getting Bulged Barrels.

I will guess this was from people using careless Home-Loads, and, having a squib, followed by either a normal Loading or a double-Charge.

If I had to quess, I'd guess, a Double-Charge followed the 'Squib' in this instance.

The old Box of Ammo you have, may be someone's old Home-Loads.

Often, people would ( or still may ) put Home-Loads into the Factory Box the shells came in before being fired and re-Loaded.

I'd say you've got enough uneffected Barrel remaining, to cut it off into a 4 Inch or so, and, re-position the Front Sight...and this would not require the Barrel be removed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts